You are welcome/You are welcomed to ...

Discussion in 'English Only' started by akurain, Nov 3, 2008.

1. akurain Junior Member

Chinese
    Is it correct to say "you are welcomed" or "you are welcome"?

My impression is in present: You are welcome (You're welcome), but in the past the verb chages to welcomed like you were wrong. So does that make "You are welcome" in the past to "You WERE welcomed" and not You are welcomed?

2. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Hi akruain. :)

Do you mean as a reply to "thank you" or when welcoming someone into your home (for example)? We need the context, please.

3. akurain Junior Member

Chinese
    Well I'm unsure which is correct below:

You are welcome to ask if you have any questions/You are welcomed to ask if you have any questions.

4. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    "Welcome" is an adjective, as well as a noun and a verb. "Welcomed" is the past participle of the verb "welcome". Like most past participles, "welcomed" can also work as an adjective, although its meaning is different from the meaning of the adjective "welcome".

The usual form of the statement you mentioned is "you are welcome to [do X]". It is the same structure (namely, "you are [adjective] to [do X]") as the following:

A sales clerk was available to help the customers.
    You are free to leave if you wish.
    We are happy to see you.

5. Skylynx Junior Member

English-U.S.

People usually say "you are welcome to ask if you have any questions." If you mean to say something in the past, you might say "you were welcome to ask if you had any questions".

Hope that helps,
    Skylynx

6. akurain Junior Member

Chinese
    So could we also say "you were welcomed to ask if you had any questions"?

7. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    No, Akurian, you can't. When 'welcome' is an adjective (as in your first post's 'welcome to...') it is invariable. When it is a verb you can have it in any tense:

I welcomed him.
    You were welcomed into our home.
    You will be welcomed into our home.
    I shall welcome them all.
    Welcome!

8. akurain Junior Member

Chinese
    Great examples given! Thank you for clearning that out for me :)

9. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    There's also the expression 'to be welcome to something' which means 'you've got it and I'm glad you've got it but I think it's something unpleasant and wouldn't want it myself'. A famous mistaken use of this idiom was said to be written above the reception desk of a large hotel in Moscow: 'If this is your first visit to the USSR you are welcome to it'.

10. akurain Junior Member

Chinese
    So it should be "to be welcomed ..." right?

11. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    It's an illustration of the power of idiom in English. Had the sign said 'You are welcome in the USSR' or 'Welcome to first-time visitors', 'Welcome to the USSR', or something similar, there would be no problem, BUT 'you are welcome to a visitor' means you can have a visitor, to take him or her away, for whatever purpose you wish, though the purpose sounds dire.

If you put the words into the form of the idiom - you are welcome to + noun - the idiom applies rather than the normal meaning of welcome.

12. akurain Junior Member

Chinese
    I can understanding the usage of idiom but with the sentence "to be welcomed ... " wouldn't it be grammatically correct?

13. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    Certainly. For instance in a sentence like: when the guests arrive they are to be welcomed with a glass of warm grog.

Is that the sort of thing you had in mind, Akurain?

14. Cypherpunk Senior Member

Springdale, AR
    US, English
    Sorry to continue the thread, but I don't believe akurain understands.

No, it would not be correct, in the sentence that you originally posted. 'Welcome' in that sentence is an adjective, and an adjective will not change. It cannot be 'welcomed'.
    Also, in the minds of most English speakers, a person continues to be welcome, until they are no longer welcome. So, if the person is welcome to do something at noon today, they can return at a later time, and they are still welcome. If the circumstances change, then we would say they are not welcome. You could say the person was once welcome. But, the adjective 'welcome' still does not change.

If you use 'welcome' as a verb, it can change, as others have stated. But, in your original post, you could only say 'welcome'.

15. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    And the past of you are welcome is, therefore, you were welcome.

If someone were to say we were welcomed that would mean that they were met and greeted and that people showed pleasure at their presence.

16. akurain Junior Member

Chinese
    How about in saying "You are always welcomed to ...", could this be a better way of using welcomed?

17. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    No, I don't think so. I've never heard anyone say this.

18. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    Hi, Akurain. I wonder why you are still persisting in trying to use 'welcomed' ungrammatically. An adjective cannot change in such a way. If we say "You are fat", "You are clever", "You are welcome", we cannot add an -ed for the past tense: we still say "You were fat", etc.
    Have you seen the adjective 'welcome' used in that way, with an -ed at the end? If so, even if you saw that in Wikipedia or some other Google site - it was wrong! :)

19. Codyfied Senior Member

Mods, If this thread has been exhausted , please delete my post ---

I would agree that the idiom is the idiom. "You're welcome" [You are welcome] is the response to "Thank You" [I thank you].
    That's just the way it is. :)

But odd we can say "Much obliged" to describe one's position of gratitude but "You're welcomed" cannot mean that you are granted favour any time. We certainly can respond "Any time" to a "Thank you". But must we respond "You're welcome any time" when "You're welcomed any time" is equally sensible?

I don't prefer 'You're welcome" as a statement of your status, but that, as I am granting you favour openly to do or get again whatever you said "Thank you" for, that the better response would be "You're welcomed" That being said, the idiom is the idiom and so the correct response is "You're Welcome!" Agreed. Done.

But I'm not following completely why then is "You're welcomed", as a sentence using the paste tense of the verb "welcome", any less grammatical than, "You're stuffed", You're exhausted", You're permitted" or any hundreds of other verbs you can conjure. Or are you saying, specifically, with "welcome" singled out as an adjective, one cannot add an -ed to it. Certainly true. Adjectives don't have tenses. Then, I'm with you there.

Surely it's verb form can be used purely as "You're welcomed" such as a response to "Are we welcomed here or not?"

"You're welcomed. Any time!"

I think I'm saying what others may have said before, but trying to clarify.

Otherwise, then I'm pleading ignorance and not following the explanation clearly.

20. scristobal New Member

Austria
    Spanish
    I just come across this, what a fascinating idiom and anecdote! Many thanks for sharing it!

21. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    We actually have a thread on this, I see, Scristobal. Here.

22. bter_fr_u New Member

Hindi, Bengali and English
    ok in "you are welcome" welcome is adjective.

But what about "you are welcomed by them"?. I think this is the passive voice of "They welcome you".
    obviously in "you are welcomed by them" welcomed is the past participle form of the verb "welcome".
    Again past participle form can be used as adjective. So what's the problem?
    please correct me if I am missing something.