You can watch the same thing at the same time

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by smrd, Jul 16, 2014.

1. smrd New Member

English - UK
    Hi,

I'd appreciate if someone could check my translation and provide feedback.

Możesz obserwować taka sama rzecz o takim samym czasie.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Hello and welcome to the forums. :)

Your Polish sentence is understandable; there are, however, some minor mistakes in it:
    Możesz obserwować taką* samą rzecz w tym* samym czasie.

* It seems like "tą", or even "tę", might also work in your sentence (instead of "taką"). What do you mean by "the same thing" exactly? Is it exactly this thing or the same thing as (this one, for instance)?

*"w takim" is also possible, but again more context is needed to tell whether it works.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  3. smrd New Member

English - UK
    Thanks for your welcome. :)

I mean the same object that both people are looking at that time.

4. dodominik

dodominik New Member

Poland
    Polish

"Taką samą rzecz" means it's the same as the other one. For example you have a ball and I buy the same model. Then I can say that I've got "taką samą rzecz".

"Tę samą rzecz" means that it's exactly the same object. For example you've got a ball and I borrow it from you. Then I've got "tę samą rzecz".

I hope it helped.

5. jasio Senior Member

There is another nuance to be taken into consideration.

Is the phrase meant to be a general observation or a sort of personal advice in a specific situation?

For example, if one person is watching an object and you are informing another person that s/he can observe the same thing simultanously, you can naturely say 'Możesz obserwować tę samą rzecz w tym samym czasie'. However, if you want to make a general remark that it's possible for two persons to watch the same thing, in Polish you should almost exclusively use the impersonal form: 'Można obserwować tę samą rzecz w tym samym czasie'. This is very different than in English, where impersonal form ('one can observe') theoretically exists, but probably is used almost exclusively in dictionaries, while in practice second person form is used instead.