1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

You can't play on broken strings

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Peppethelondoner, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Hello everyone.
    I'm translating the song "Broken strings" by James Morrison feat. Nelly Furtado. I'm stuck on the sentence "You can't play on broken strings" in the following context:
    "You can't play on broken strings/
    You can't feel anything that your heart don't want to feel/
    I can't tell you something that ain't real"
    My attempt:"Non puoi giocare con i miei sentimenti feriti ???/
    Non puoi sentire qualcosa che il tuo cuore non vuole sentire/
    Non posso dirti qualcosa che non è vero".
    I want to point out that my attempt of translation (at least for the first sentence) is a bit "imaginative", so any suggestions/explanations will be VERY appreciated.
    Thanks in advantage for your valuable help
    Peppe

EDIT: I don't think that "Non puoi giocare sulle corde spezzate/rotte" makes any sense here.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Alabama, USA
    American English
    Isn't the original a bit of a double entendre in that broken strings could be strings of a musical instrument or of someone's heart? Is there any way to render that ambivalence in Italian?

3. skyless_star Junior Member

Italia; Italiano
    I found a translation of the song starting from google (I cant't find it again, though; even searching the same string), it was:

you can't play on broken strings <-> non puoi giocare con dei legami spezzati

roughly meaning:

our relationship is broken, it's useless to try and fix it / pretend we're still fine together

4. Good question, AlabamaBoy. At the moment I have no idea if there's a way, but maybe others...

5. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Yes, that's what I thought as well!:) String-heartstring, broken heart/broken string....

Peppe, secondo Google, si può parlare delle corde del cuore (heartstrings)...un cuore si può spezzare e (pare) anche la corda di uno strumento musicale.