"you drive me crazy" versus "you make me crazy"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by drei_lengua, Aug 20, 2007.

1. drei_lengua

drei_lengua Senior Member

Hello everyone,

The other day I heard someone say to another person "you make me crazy". I have never heard this before. I had only heard "you drive me crazy". Which one do YOU use? Maybe this is some regionalism.

I look forward to your replies.

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Ignoring the distortion introduced by the Fine Young Cannibals' song, Google searches indicate that "drive/drives me crazy" is about five or seven times more popular than "make/makes me crazy."
  3. nichec

nichec Senior Member

I say "You drive me crazy" or "You drive me nuts".
  4. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    "Make me crazy" is alive and well in the midwest. To me, "make" suggests more of forced into a state of mental instability than drive:That music makes me crazy. "Drive" suggests "irritating." Just me, perhaps.
  5. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

I thought of that, too... But I was more familiar with "you make me go crazy" - having a more or less positive meaning (whereas "drive me crazy" clearly suggests annoyance)

Or maybe I simply misunderstood you.
  6. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Google, again:
    "make me crazy" - 239,000 hits; note that this phrase can have both "positive" and "negative" uses, just like "make me go crazy"
    "make me go crazy" - 23,900 hits, coincidentally one-tenth of the hits for the other phrase.
    I expected "make me crazy" would be more popular, but it's ten times more popular.
  7. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    I wasn't clear. "Makes me crazy" has a more ominous connotation to me (Taking that medication makes him crazy) than "drives me crazy" (Kids, stop that screaming! It's driving me crazy).
  8. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    "You make me crazy" can be a "good" thing as well, so to speak.
  9. drei_lengua

drei_lengua Senior Member

"you make me go crazy" has a sexual connotation and is used positively in this sense.

10. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

"You drive me crazy with desire" can also have a positive, sexual connotation. I don't think there's a specific connotation to either "drive" or "make" in this phrase.