1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by LeBaguette, May 24, 2012.

1. LeBaguette New Member

English- Ireland
    Hello,
    I was wondering if there is a French idiom for 'You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince charming' or do you just translate it literally?
    Literally, I would write 'il faut embrasser beaucoup de grenouilles avant de trouver le prince charmant.'

I would really appreciate some help, thank you! :)

2. greatbear Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I don't think it's really an idiom in English, but because everyone knows the frog and princess story, the expression exists. Since I suppose French people also know the story, I would go for literal translation.

3. Jasmine tea Senior Member

French - France
    Welcome to the Forume Lebaguette,

I agree with Greatbear's reply.
    In French we talk of the "crapaud" (le crapaud qui se transforme en prince), in the story.

4. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    Yes I was about to say the same - here's it's toads not frogs (I wonder why) but in fact there is a book that was published last year by Lucie de Paola entitled - 'Les filles pensent....: qu'il faut embrasser beaucoup de crapauds avant de trouver le prince charmant' édité chez Michel Lafon ISBN 978 2749914350 which apparently ladies tend to read on the beach when they're on holiday. There is the expression about finding a shoe to fit your foot - trouver chaussure à son pied - which may or may not be a reference to Cendrillon/Cinderella, but which in French doesn't sound particularly romantic.