You mean the world to me

Discussion in 'English Only' started by vost, Aug 13, 2008.

1. vost Senior Member

France
    France, Français
    may I say this to a very good friend (opposite sex) or is it reserved to romance ?

2. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    may I say this to a very good friend

I wouldn't say this is unconditionally reserved for romance. It greatly depends on how well your friend understands you and your motivations.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  3. AER1018 Junior Member

USA
    American English
    If you are very close to this person, I don't see why it would be a problem to say it to your friend.

4. AER1018 Junior Member

USA
    American English
    I agree with cyberpedant. It all depends on if your friend understands it is not meant to be romantic. You just don't want him/her to take it the wrong way.

5. vost Senior Member

France
    France, Français
    we are very close friends and often say each other I love you without romantic motivations.

6. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Well, it all depends on your relationship and the way you normally communicate (there's no way for us to really know that). I'd say that "you mean the world to me" is a pretty powerful statement, and it might be understood as a desire to change the boundaries of your current relationship.

I think I'd keep it for my significant other or my children.

7. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I think Trisia's advice is very wise, vost.

8. Franzi Senior Member

Astoria, NY
    (San Francisco) English
    Very emotional parents might say this to their kids. I agree that friends are likely to take it the wrong way. It's similar to saying something like: "You are the most important person in my life." Even if that's true, it's a weird thing to say to a friend who you are not romantically interested in because people expect that only your significant other/spouse or children could be the most important. If I heard friends using "you mean the world to me", I would expect it to be in a conversation about how it was weird that they were that unusually close.

9. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    vost,

You tell someone you love them, but you're worried that "you mean the world to me" is too much?

That doesn't make sense to me.

Love is much higher on the intimate scale than the other, in my opinion.

If you already can say those three words back and forth to each other without misunderstanding, your other statement should create no additional problems at all! If you tell her you love her now and she doesn't take it romantically, this isn't going to sway her the other way.

I say go ahead and use it.

If a guy told me he loved me, I'd assume I already meant the world to him.

These words must mean something differently to you than they do to me. I personally don't know any man who would tell me he loves me and only mean it in a friendly way, unless we're related.

But in your situation, I think you've already established that it's something different in meaning.

AngelEyes

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  10. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    This being the case, I can't see a problem with saying "You mean the world to me".

11. AER1018 Junior Member

USA
    American English
    Now that you tell us that you say "I love you" to each other, there is no problem with saying "You mean the world to me." "I love you" is much more intimate than "You mean the world to me."

12. vost Senior Member

France
    France, Français
    the problem is not with the sentiments we have. the problem is with English which is not my mother language.
    I ask about the usage of the expression/sentence to know the context it is used in. some sentences are sometimes used only in some context and people without the specific culture (as I am) can not know.

13. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    AngelEyes, M42, AER1018: Ah, but there are ways and ways to say I love you....

Vost, you could convey almost exactly the same message by telling your friend that your friendship with her means the world to you. I can't see any possible problem with that:)

14. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    You're right, Loob. Your way is very nice, too.

But vost has already told us he tells her he loves her in words, and she understands it's only as friends.

So if he wants to know if in English "the world to me" comment is too much and too forward, and will be misunderstood, I'd have to say to him I don't think so in this relationship.

However, adding the word "friendship" is a nice touch, in my opinion. :)
    Though not necessary.

AngelEyes

15. AER1018 Junior Member

USA
    American English
    I agree with AngelEyes. The way you put it is perfectly fine, Loob. However, it is not necessary to say "our friendship means the world to me." But, it is really up to vost. Do you feel comfortable saying "you mean the world to me" to your friend? Do you feel comfortable saying it without the fear of thinking they will take it the wrong way? It is all up to you. You could play it safe and say "our friendship means the world to me."