You must be both clever and very pretty!

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Andrew Bainbridge, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Andrew Bainbridge New Member

United States
    American English
    Hi all,

I want to tell a girl the following:
    "You must be both clever and very pretty!"

Is the following sentence correct (in terms of grammar, word order, and situational vocabulary)?

你很可能是两个都聪明和很漂亮!

Also: is there any way to stress the 和 in writing? I want the sentence to read with an inonation like "You must be clever AND pretty!" But obviously you cannot capitalize in Chinese.

谢谢你们!

2. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    If you're telling her the truth, then it's probably correct ;)
    But as far as the language is concerned, your sentence doesn't sound right.

If I were so lucky as to be in your shoes, I'd probably say:
    你一定是又聪明又漂亮.

This sentence should be fine, but let's see alternatives from others.

3. zhg Senior Member

Chinese
    In writing ,I don't think so. Of course you can italicize or boldface them as you want, but I don't think they have been accepted as general methods for emphasizing Chinese characters.

Besides xiaolijie's sentence, another possible alternative could be 你一定又聪明又漂亮!

4. tarlou Senior Member

Chinese
    "很可能" means "probably". I don't think you want to say "you are very likely to be clever and pretty"... You can use "一定" or "肯定".
    "两个都", "和" are mostly used for two nouns. It is not correct to use them for adjectives (at least in this sentence). You can use the 又...又... structure (as suggested above) or 既...又... structure. Both structures are emphasizing.
    Another way to say "both clever and pretty" is "秀外慧中".

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. fxlle Senior Member

Cantonese
    你一定很聰明漂亮,heh heh.

6. Hihowareyou Junior Member

Chinese
    你真的是既聪明又漂亮。你真的是秀外慧中。

7. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

你很可能是两个都聪明和很漂亮! "You are very likely two of them clever and very pretty!"
    NOT OK! Why "very likely"?? And, is she having twins?? Don't translate "both" into "两个都".

Must: 一定/肯定
    又...又... stresses the meaning "both".
    既...又... is just like 又...又..., but more formal.

8. Rethliopuks Junior Member

Shenzhen, PRC
    Mandarin
    Stressing like what? Stressing that she has both the two properties at once? Or that she is not only clever(which is known) but also very pretty(which she doesn't believe/you didn't know, etc.)? Or that those two properties make a perfect combination? Or something else?
    There are different methods to stress, depending the exact meaning you want to express.
    =
    And..."must"? Um, would you please paraphrase? Are you inferring? Judging? Asserting? Describing facts? Reasoning? Stunned? Admiring? That can have multiple translations depending on the context and on what you want to express.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  9. GaFu Junior Member

Chinese
    If you are chatting with the girl on internet or just write a letter to her ,which you have never met.Use "你一定聪明而且漂亮!"
    If the girl you meet often,just "你聪明而且漂亮!"

10. GaFu Junior Member

Chinese
    If you are chatting with the girl on internet or just write a letter to her ,which you have never met.Use "你一定聪明而且漂亮!"
    If the girl you meet often,just "你聪明而且漂亮!"