1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

You Only Go Around Once.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by HSS, Jan 20, 2010.

1. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    "You only go around once" is a famous saying meaning "You only live once." I've known this for a long time, and I guess I know how this meaning is arrived at. But I was reading a good ol' Blondie comic just a minute ago, and ran upon the following:

(Their wives have been looking for Dagwood and Herbert for some house chores, but they have successfully ducked away from them)
    Dagwood: You only go around once in life, but if you do it right,once is enough.

I can't seem to see how 'go around' is related to 'do it right.' Could you help me with any clue?

Hiro

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    If you live a good life - if you 'do' life well - then you don't need a second chance at living.

3. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    How does 'go around' come to mean 'live,' I wonder?

4. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    Well, I don't know, but if I were to guess, I would imagine that people are thinking about reincarnation and/or thinking of time as circular rather than linear... I'll leave that one to the physicists & theologists though :)

5. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    That's just about as much as I feel from the expression. As I stopped and thought a while, I'm now starting to understand the whole dialogue.

Thanks,

Hiro