you score as many as you can and... (Brazil's soccer team)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Saluton, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Saluton Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    There is a saying about Brazil's soccer team, a saying that is very popular in Russia. Translated from Russian, it goes approximately, "You will score as many as you can and we will score as many as we want." According to a Russian source I found on the Internet, it's a quote from Brazilian coach Vicente Feola, who said this after the 1962 World Cup final, but still I've been unable to find the quote itself in English. Do you happen to know it? Is it known at all in English-speaking countries?

2. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Well, it isn't known to me - but then, I am not at all knowledgeable about soccer. However, I tried googling several things ("Vicente Feola+"You will score"; "Vicente Feola+quote"; etc.) and it didn't come up, so I'm guessing the answer is "no."

3. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Why English? Have you tried the Portuguese language site?

4. Saluton Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    I don't speak Portuguese and I wanted to hear about its usage in English anyway.
    Since no one who has heard the quote turned up in one and a half days, I presume it is unknown or almost unknown.
    Thank you.

5. Stoggler

Stoggler Senior Member

Regnum Sussaxonum
    UK English
    The nearest equivalent in British English is from a song by Vindaloo, where one of the lines in the song is "We're England; we're gonna score one more than you".

Other than that, the Vicente Feola quote is not known here (in Britain).

6. Harld Castillo New Member

Brazilian Portuguese
    I've actually never even heard it before, but then again I'm not into sports. I would have been glad to help though. Harld Castillo.