You should turn left where the pedestrian road ends.

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil Senior Member

I want to tell someone where to get to the train station. There is this pedestrian road (jalankulkutie?) in the center, and they should walk down this road, and turn left where the pedestrian road ends (that is, where there are cars passing by.) How can I say this?

"Kävele jalankulkutie ja käänny vasemmalle, kun sinä olet jalankulkutien loppu." (?)
  2. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Hi EVOO,

I'd recommend pedestrian path or footpath for this meaning in English.

In Finnish, jalankulkutie is one word used for this meaning, but jalankäytävä seems to be the more common word -- Finns, is this correct?

"Kävele jalankulkutien/jalankäytävän loppuun asti, sitten käänny vasemmalle."

Just one possibility for how to say this.
  3. Grumpy Old Man Senior Member

The word for 'sidewalk' is 'jalkakäytävä'. 'Kevyen liikenteen väylä' is something for both pedestrians and cyclists. 'Kävelytie' is not meant for cyclists and can be between rows of buildings. Kävele kävelytien loppuun/päähän ja käänny sitten vasemmalle. Putting 'sitten' before 'käänny' is not wrong but I don't think a Finn would put it there.
  4. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Ugh, for some reason I keep "re-inserting" jalan- in that word, even right after I've seen the correct form in the dictionary.