1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

You still have your whole life in front of you.

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, May 12, 2010.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hello, one can hear this sentence quite a lot, it's common in Hungarian and Czech, too. Do you say it, too? Thanks.

Hungarian: Előtted még ott az egész élet. [literal translation, idiomatic, too]
    Czech: Máš ještě před sebou celý život. [the same]
    Italian: Hai ancora tutta la vita davanti a te. [the same]

2. Zio Gilito Senior Member

Sevilla, España
    Español - España
    Spanish: Todavía tienes toda la vida por delante

3. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:
    «έχεις ολόκληρη ζωή μπροστά σου»
    'eçis o'lokliri zo'i mbro'sta su
    lit. "you have a whole life before you"

Modern adverb «μπροστά» (mbro'sta) derives from the ancient «ἔμπροσθεν» ('emprostʰen) or «ἔμπροσθε» ('emprostʰe)-->before, in front opposite, which in Byzantine Greek became «ἔμπροστα» ('embrosta) or «ἐμπροστὰ» (embro'sta); ultimately «μπροστά» (mbro'sta) with the omission of the initial unstressed vowel (a common phenomenon in Greek)

[ç] is a voiceless palatal fricative

4. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Portuguese: (Ainda) tens a vida toda à tua frente. [The word "still" is often omitted.]

5. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    Turkish: Önünde uzun bir hayat var [There is a long life in front of you]

6. enoo Senior Member

France
    French - France
    French:
    Tu as (encore)(toute) la vie devant toi. - You (still) have the (whole) life in front of you.
    The words in brackets can be omited.

Actually, I'm not totally sure of what you meant with this sentence Encolpius. What is its use in Hungarian?
    (In France this can be used to cheer up someone a bit down, but it's more often used in the negative form, to say "hurry up!".)

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    The same in Hungarian and English. :)

8. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Finnish: Sinulla on vielä koko elämä edessäsi. You still have the whole life in front of you.

9. Natalisha Senior Member

Russian
    Russian: У тебя вся жизнь впереди. (You have the whole life ahead).

10. phosphore Senior Member

Serbian
    Serbian:

Ceo je život pred tobom. (The whole life is in front of you.)

11. Orlin Senior Member

София
    български
    Very similar in Bulgarian: Целият живот е пред теб(е). You can also say: "Животът е пред теб(е)", and I think that this version is commoner.

12. suasica New Member

Polish
    In Polish we say "Jeszcze całe życie przed tobą" (the whole life is still in front of you)

13. Roel~ Junior Member

Nederlands - Nederland
    Wow, I am surprised. In my language it is:

Dutch: Je hebt nog een heel leven voor jou. [literatal translation: You still have a whole life in front of you.]

My theory is that this sentence and meaning is probably a universal meaning because it exists in non-Indo-European languages too, which means that it is probably something which primitive people already had. The life is a word which refers to the existence and future is a word which refers to what will come, in other words, what is in front of somebody. Because this word, in front, is used symbolically for 'in the future', this means that this word in this way was probably used in the languages of more primitive people too, who kept it in their more developed indo-European and non-indo-European languages.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  14. Jamaisleño

Jamaisleño New Member

NYC
    English & Jamaican Creole
    Jamaican Creole (Patios/Patwa): Di wuola yu laif de fronta yu.

15. mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog:1.) Nasa iyo ang sarili mo. (you are within yourself)