You want some?

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by dukaine, Jan 8, 2013.

1. dukaine Senior Member

madison heights, mi
    english - american
    How do you say, "You want some of this?", like when you're trying to get someone to fight with you? Also, "You don't want none of this", like when you're trying to get someone to back off or to warn them of the beatdown they're about to get.

2. ystab Senior Member

Hebrew
    I would go for:
    אתה רוצה מכות?/אתה רוצה ללכת מכות?

and
    אתה לא רוצה לקבל מכות./אתה לא רוצה לחטוף מכות.

Of course, this is not a literal translation, because idioms don't often have literal translations that mean the same.

3. C_J Junior Member

He
    First of all, I must speak out against, and strongly condemn the possibly meaningless violence.

Secondly, ystab's suggestions are good, but you'll have to bear in mind the Israeli middle-eastern culture and temperament. In other words, you probably need to be more verbose than that.
    Here's a conversation I recently had with a fine young Beit-Sheani gentleman for instance:
    Friend's 'ars neighbour: "בוא'נה אתה רוצה מכות? יא בן ז*נה אתה לא יודע מה אני יעשה לך, אתה לא מכיר אותי! בוא, יא כלב אם יש לך אומץ!"
    Me: "בוא תנסה" <jump into TKD back stance menacingly>
    Friend's 'ars neighbour: "?אל ת'עסק איתי למה אתה לא רוצה את זה, לא חבל אני סתם ישפוך אותך פה כמו איזה כלב באמצע הרחוב"
    Me: "אוקיי, בסדר. אבל תנמיך את המוזיקה, תן לילדים לישון, טוב אחי?"
    Friend's 'ars neighbour: "טוב, אבל פעם הבאה אם אתה בא לפה, ישר אני דוקר אותך הבנת? אותך ואת אמא'שך גם יא מ*דיין" <keeps rambling incoherently/bragging to his friends until I completely walk away>
    (This conversation repeated itself a few times, until I sabotaged his flat's main circuit breaker...)

4. dukaine Senior Member

madison heights, mi
    english - american
    Well, the phrase is often used not so violently. Someone can challenge you to a friendly basketball game or an eating contest and use the same phrase, although the context, relationship to the party, and tone of voice determines the situation. Does whether or not the situation it's friendly change the hebrew phrasing?

5. ystab Senior Member

Hebrew
    As רוצה מכות? is challenging someone to fight, רוצה משחק? can be used to challenge to play (ball or whatever) and רוצה תחרות? for a contest.

By the way, you want some? in English can also be used to offer food, and then I would translate it as רוצה קצת? (I am using קצת, not because I'm cheap ;), but because that's the way we speak.)

6. C_J Junior Member

He
    Ermmm.. no? Not with the current examples at least, "רוצה (לקבל) מכות?" means "you want to be beaten up?" (lit. "you want [to receive] beatings?") so intonation will change the meaning only that much... Obviously, friends will not take this seriously, but you will still be implying that you're going to beat 'em up (physically)... After all, you did ask about challenging someone into a fight...
    You will have to use something else in a different setting I suppose. May I suggest that you rephrase (in English) those two sentences in accordance to the precise meaning you want to convey? This way we can better evaluate the level of formality and aggression, and thus we'll be able to give you better examples for each case...

7. dukaine Senior Member

madison heights, mi
    english - american
    Well, I suppose the most precise...

You want to compete against me?

You don't want me to compete against you. I would beat you really badly.

Not nearly as fun, but I guess that happens in translations.

8. Tararam Senior Member

Hebrew
    There's the nerdy/obsolete phrasing "?רוצה לקבל מנה/רוצה מנה ממני" ("want a piece/portion of me?").

נ.ב
    סי-ג'יי בידרת אותי, חזק ואמץ!