1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

you/you little... (precursor to insult)

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by trigel, Mar 19, 2013.

1. trigel Senior Member

English - US, Korean
    Japanese: この ("this")
    Korean: 이.../or sometimes 네이... ("this"/"you, this")
    Hebrew (If I'm not mistaken): יא\חתיכת

Examples that are not simple "you..." wanted.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. Saluton Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Russian:
    ну ты (nu ti, "well, you"), e.g. ну ты, жадина! - you, greedy-guts!
    ах ты (akh ti, "oh, you"), e.g. ах ты сука! - you shitass!
    ах ты маленький (akh ti malenkiy, "oh, you little"), e.g. ах ты маленькая дрянь! - you dirty little bitch!
    вот (vot, "here", addressed in most cases to a third person), e.g. вот дебил! - such a dork!
    As for the ordinary ты (ti, "you"), it is usually inserted between two words of an insult when addressing someone offensively: сукин ты сын! - you son of a bitch!

3. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    For hebrew you are correct.

4. mataripis Senior Member

in Tagalog the word "hamak' refers to a simple one but when attached to word "bitch" (pakakak) it sounds directly insulting! hamak na pakakak!

5. inorez New Member

English - World
    In Basque, the word "hori" ("that") is used in this context, although it comes after the noun.

Example: Alu hori! = You idiot/moron! ("alu" actually means "vagina", but is used as a general insult).

As well as for insults, "hori" can also be used in an affectionate way.

Example: Zorionak, polit hori! = Happy birthday, cutey! ("polit" = "pretty").

6. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In French:
    "espèce de..." (literally: kind of/sort of/species of)

Or stronger:
    "sale..." (literally: dirty)

7. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    In Portuguese, it's usually seu/sua, literally "your". Less frequently one also hears meu/minha "my".

8. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Hebrew (If I'm not mistaken): יא\חתיכת

For some weird reason it wont let me edit my previous post so: יא - ya - you, חתיכת - khatichat - (you little) piece of.
    They can come alone or together but if together ya is always before khatichat. Ya is pronounced as ma [ma for mom]; khatichat is stressed on the chat but theres a short(almost unnoticeable) pause after the ti.
    Khatichat is also pronounced khatchat with stress on the chat and again a short(though longer) pause, its more slang though but on register theyre the same.

9. rayloom Senior Member

Paris, France
    Arabic (Hijazi Arabic)
    In Arabic, such insults are preceded by "yā", which is actually a vocative particle. So technically it doesn't mean "you", although it's commonly translated as "you".

10. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Hungarian

I don't know if I understand the question very well, however I try to answer:

Te hülye
    te - you (2nd pers. sg. - "thou")
    hülye - imbecile, idiot, silly, stupid, etc ...
    (instead of hülye a plenty of other words can be used ...)

But using kis (little) generally "diminuishes" the strength of the term itself, though maintaining the insult:
    Te kis hülye

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  11. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    same goes with hebrew.

12. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    The biggest problem is I cannot see any question....

13. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Finnish: senkin < sen, the gen. sg. of se "that", + -kin "also, even"

Example: Senkin hölmö! "You fool!"

14. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek, insults are usually preceded by «ρε» [re] which in the modern language is a vocative particle < Byzantine vocative particle «μρὲ» [mre] & late-Byzantine «ὠρὲ» [o're] < Classical & Koine Gr. vocative case «ὦ μῶρε» ô môrĕ of adj. «μωρός» mōrós -> dull, stupid, sluggish (with obscure etymology).
    In Modern Greek the word has lost its literal meaning and it's used nowadays as an intensifier, e.g.
    «Ρε μαλάκα!» [re ma'laka!] (there's an interesting wikipedia entry on the every day use of the slang word «μαλάκας» [ma'lakas])