You're welcome / you are welcome! (usage in English)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Jean-Michel Carrère, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    Someone in France told me it wasn't very polite to reply "You are welcome" after someone has said "Thank you" to you.

Can you confirm or invalidate this opinion ?
  2. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Ça semble correct...
  3. Mycall Senior Member

Northern France
    France French
    The incorrect thing would be to say: "of nothing"...:cross: :eek:
  4. ddddan Member

Canada -- English
    "You're welcome" is the standard reply. Some people say "no problem", and in the US I have heard "Uh-huh" (although I wouldn't call that polite -- then again I'm Canadian :) ).
  5. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Je crois que la confusion vient du fait que l'anglicisme "Bienvenue" est encore trop souvent utilisé au Canada pour dire «Je vous en prie, il n'y a pas de quoi, de rien»
    Bienvenue est incorrect dans ce contexte, mais "You're welcome"est correct.
  6. charlie2 Senior Member

That's probably correct. I remember when I first learned this response "You're welcome!", our teacher took pain to remind us not to put a "d" after "welcome".
  7. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    Thanks a lot for your (as always) prompt replies !
  8. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    You're welcome, JM
  9. Starcreator Senior Member

Canada, English, French
    Canada, English
    I don't know what kind of nonsense they've been telling you but the typical response is "you're welcome". But there are lots of option: Thanks! You're welcome. Not a problem. Not at all. It was my infinitum ;)

10. srsh Senior Member

Monterrey, México
    Mexico, Español
    It could also be:

- Thanks!
    - Anytime!
  11. gmnstrunr37 Member

US, English
    I take it you mean in the English-speaking countries?

For that matter, is it appropriate to say "De rien" or "Il n'y a pas de quoi" or "Je vous en prie" as a response to "Merci" en France?
  12. Benjy

Benjy Senior Member

Milton Keynes, UK
    English - English
    yes it is :)
  13. aleksandra bojkovska New Member

I would like to now if it is right when you had wished somebody happy birthday and then he says ''Thank you'' and you answer with '' You are welcome '' . :)))
  14. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    It's not wrong, but I think it sounds a little bit excessive. Usually thank you is the last thing said, in that case.
  15. gotenks2 Member

Mexican Spanish
    I think it depends in each person's way of speaking.... I normally use "no problem" in informal conversations and "You're welcome" in formal conversations, but that's my way of speaking.

By the way: I've heard in canada, people saying "bienvenue" instead of "de rien" as French (from France) people say, so it depends in each country too.
  16. wiwiii New Member

this is absulently rong :eek: are welcome has to be said after every thank you :warning:'s better than saying nothing after all :p ..because when you don't say anything as a reply to the person that thanked become are welcome is a way to say that what ever i did to thank me for is nothing and we are even :thumbsup: but if you don't say anything make the thanker feels like he was not welcomed at all and what you did for him was a big favour that he'll never can makes it up to you :cross: so you are welcome is a good way to show respect to the thanker :tick: it must be said (obligation)
  17. UKnight Banned

You've helped someone. He or she thanks you.
    If needed, what should be the answer?

It is better to say,

in English:
    You're welcome. (formal, polite, and strongly recommended)
    It was my pleasure. (formal, polite)
    Don't mention it. (informal)
    Forget it. (informal)

or in French:
    Ce fut un plaisir. (kind and polite, sounds archaic in some French ears, maybe)
    Je vous en prie. (polite, recommended)
    De rien.
    Ce n'est rien.
    Il n'y a pas de quoi
    (informal, sounds familiar, sometimes)
    Je ne vis que pour vous servir.
    (funny, joking, not really recommended)

As a conclusion:
    Depending on the person in front of you, reply with You're welcome (English context) or Je vous en prie (French context) is the best way. Forget the rest, if possible.
    Not replying is not quite polite. Ne pas répondre (à un 'merci') est plutôt mal vu.

Hope it helps someone.
    Have a nice day!
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012