you're welcome

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by don't know hungarian, Jul 29, 2013.

1. don't know hungarian New Member

english
    In english when someone says thank you we say "you're welcome" what is the correct response in hungarian?

2. Sowka

Sowka Forera und Moderatorin

Hannover
    German, Northern Germany
    Hello don't know Hungarian :)

Welcome to WordReference!

I'm an absolute beginner in Hungarian, but my textbook says that the appropriate answer to "Köszönöm" is "kérem".

3. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    "Kérem" (please) is one of the possibilities, but I think more frequent and less formal is "szívesen" (gladly). Also "nincs mit" (not at all).

4. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    I think "kérem" is way too formal and/or outdated and/or pretentious these days. The most common and best reply is "szívesen". Also "nincs mit" as francis stated. Besides we also tend to use (at least myself) American responses like ok. I'm not sure others do that and if it's polite enough. I use it informally and only with friends and in "low priority" matters.

5. gorilla Junior Member

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I would not say "OK" as a response to "Thanks!". For really low priority matters, like handing over the salt at the table, I'd rather not answer at all.

6. tomtombp Senior Member

Hungarian
    I understand. It may sound kind of rude. Maybe when you're asked for a favor and thanked for it? You say: (It's) ok, to mean that it was nothing for you and you were glad that you could be of help. Or does it suggest just the opposite, that you did what they asked you to do but you didn't really like it?

7. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    Turning back to the original question, whatever globalized be our world, the normal (commonly used) answer in the Hungarian speaking territory of this lacrimarum valle (world) is "szívesen" and not "ok" ... Of course, "ok" is a possible general response for everything today, but far not so common as it may seem ... This "ok" works e.g. also in Italian or German, neverthless the "normal" answer (even today) is "prego" and "bitte" ...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  8. don't know hungarian New Member

english
    thank you for all of your responses. they have been very helpful.