Discussion in 'Čeština (Czech)' started by stelingo, Sep 9, 2012.

1. stelingo

stelingo Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Maybe I’m completely wrong, but I get the impression that the imperfective zaujimat isn’t really used in the sense of to fascinate. I want to say: ‘Brazil is a country which fascinates me because of its warm people, rich culture and beautiful scenery.‘ My attempt:
    'Brazilie je země, která mě zaujme díky svého srdečného národu, své bohaté kultury a své krásné krajiny.'
  2. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Don't forget that the perfective aspect doesn't have a present tense - only future and past. Your example using the future perfective "zaujme" means Brazil is a country which will fascinate me. You certainly will find zaujímá - present imperfective, on this blog page, for example.

I suppose it's also fair to say that "fascinate" in the sense of "capture one's imagination" intrinsically tends to have a perfective meaning. It's often a one-off action that has happened (past perfective), or an action which will have a specific result - your imagination will be captured (in a sudden, single action), rather than an ongoing process (although that is possible too) which would require a present tense, which can only exist in the imperfective.

Note, too, that díky takes the dative, so it will be "svému srdečnému národu ... etc." The rest of the phrase will have to agree in the dative, not genitive.
  3. stelingo

stelingo Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Ok, thanks.
  4. werrr Senior Member

That's it. Different verbs are used to render the meaning of to fascinate, e.g. "uchvacovat" or (big surprise :D) "fascinovat".

"Zaujmout/zaujímat" has slightly different meaning of to catch somebody's attention.

Brazílie (je země, která) mě uchvacuje svými srdečnými obyvateli, (svou) bohatou kulturou a (svou) krásnou krajinou.

Yes, and the past tense can be used to express present state caused by a perfective action in the past. Hence "fascinates me" could be translated as "uchvátila/zaujala mě".

"Zaujímat" is mostly used as "to occupy", occasionally also as "to keep attracting somebody's interest/attention".

Yes, but better to use mere instrumental.

"Národ" in its modern meaning stays for "one body of persons" (one political nation, one tribe...).