¡Tarde piaste, pajarito!

albertovidal

Spanish, Argentina
La expresión de referencia se refiere a cuando alguien tardó mucho para hablar, o actuar, y en el momento que lo hizo ya era irrelevante, o muy tarde.
¿Existe alguna expresión equivalente en inglés?

• albertovidal

Spanish, Argentina
    No estoy seguro de que "too little, too late" encierre el sentido del dicho en español.
    Lo que encontré como definición de lo que propones es inglés es:
    Idioms & Phrases
    too little, too late
    Inadequate as a remedy and not in time to be effective, as in The effort to divert the stream into a corn field was too little too late
    the houses were already flooded
    . This term originated in the military, where it was applied to reinforcements that were insufficient and arrived too late to be of help. [First half of 1900s]

Es español, "tarde piaste, pajarito/golondrina" significa que llegaste tarde para dar una sugerencia o una noticia pero, tanto la sugerencia cuanto la noticia, pueden ser importantes y esto no es lo que se deduce de la frase en inglés.
    Saludos

Adolfo Afogutu

Español
    Aporto la traducción del siguiente pasaje del Quijote, capítulo LIII, mismo dicho, pero sin el "pajarito" o "golondrina":

¡Tarde piache! -respondió Sancho-. Así dejaré de irme como volverme turco. No son estas burlas para dos veces.
    "You spoke late," said Sancho. "I'd as soon turn Turk as stay any longer. Those jokes won't pass a second time

Fuente texto en inglés

Misao

Zaragoza(Spain)- Spanish
    A mí lo de "tarde piaste, pajarito" me suena a "a buenas horas, mangas verdes", en el sentido de que alguien llegó tarde para solucionar un problema.

Mexico RV'er

English - USA
    Albertovidal, I can't think of any that captures that exactly in AmE. Under the circumstances, I'd probably just say something flip like, "We've moved on. Try to keep up." I would say it jokingly, not critically. I might also say something like "I think you got left in the dust." or "I think we left you behind."

moosescoops

English - US
    Albertovidal, I can't think of any that captures that exactly in AmE. Under the circumstances, I'd probably just say something flip like, "We've moved on. Try to keep up." I would say it jokingly, not critically. I might also say something like "I think you got left in the dust." or "I think we left you behind."
    Yeah, I agree. Another phrase that might rise to the level of idiom is "(well,) it took you long enough!".

SraMetal

Spanish
    La expresión de referencia se refiere a cuando alguien tardó mucho para hablar, o actuar, y en el momento que lo hizo ya era irrelevante, o muy tarde.
    ¿Existe alguna expresión equivalente en inglés?
    Creo que ésta sirve: "You're late for the party"
    En situaciones sociales donde uno de los participantes estaba distraído y finalmente presta atención, se le puede decir sarcásticamente "welcome back" o "glad you finally decided to join us" o "that ship has sailed."

gotitadeleche

U.S.A. English
    No estoy seguro de que "too little, too late" encierre el sentido del dicho en español.
    Lo que encontré como definición de lo que propones es inglés es:
    Idioms & Phrases
    too little, too late
    Inadequate as a remedy and not in time to be effective, as in The effort to divert the stream into a corn field was too little too late
    the houses were already flooded
    . This term originated in the military, where it was applied to reinforcements that were insufficient and arrived too late to be of help. [First half of 1900s]

Es español, "tarde piaste, pajarito/golondrina" significa que llegaste tarde para dar una sugerencia o una noticia pero, tanto la sugerencia cuanto la noticia, pueden ser importantes y esto no es lo que se deduce de la frase en inglés.
    Saludos

Albertovidal, I might use "too little, too late" if, for example, I was married for many years to a man who has been a mean son-of-a-gun. Finally, after 10 years of putting up with his abuses, I decide to leave him. He realizes I am serious and doesn't want me to go, so he tells me he wants to turn over a new leaf and be kinder, a better husband. He is crying and seems to be seriously repentant. But I have built up such a resentment toward him that I don't want to stay no matter how serious he is. I have had enough. The apology and the offer to change might have convinced me last year, but now it is just "too little, too late." Is that what you are trying to express?

< Previous | Next >