1. albertovidal

albertovidal Senior Member

Bs.As.-Argentina
    Spanish, Argentina
    La expresión de referencia se refiere a cuando alguien tardó mucho para hablar, o actuar, y en el momento que lo hizo ya era irrelevante, o muy tarde.
    ¿Existe alguna expresión equivalente en inglés?

2. Misao

Misao Senior Member

back in Soria
    Zaragoza(Spain)- Spanish
    Yo encontré esto, pero no sé si es exactamente lo mismo:
    It is rather mustard after dinner

3. Misao

Misao Senior Member

back in Soria
    Zaragoza(Spain)- Spanish
    También encontré esta expresión aquí

bolt the stable door after the horse has been stolen

4. Sunshine on Leith Senior Member

Edinburgh
    Spain's Spanish
    Too little, too late.

5. albertovidal

Bs.As.-Argentina
    Spanish, Argentina
    No estoy seguro de que "too little, too late" encierre el sentido del dicho en español.
    Lo que encontré como definición de lo que propones es inglés es:
    Idioms & Phrases
    too little, too late
    Inadequate as a remedy and not in time to be effective, as in The effort to divert the stream into a corn field was too little too late [​IMG]the houses were already flooded . This term originated in the military, where it was applied to reinforcements that were insufficient and arrived too late to be of help. [First half of 1900s]

Es español, "tarde piaste, pajarito/golondrina" significa que llegaste tarde para dar una sugerencia o una noticia pero, tanto la sugerencia cuanto la noticia, pueden ser importantes y esto no es lo que se deduce de la frase en inglés.
    Saludos

6. maxpapic Senior Member

Tampa, FL
    español - República Dominicana
    Quizás "the early bird gets the worm".

7. Adolfo Afogutu

Adolfo Afogutu Senior Member

Uruguay
    Español
    Aporto la traducción del siguiente pasaje del Quijote, capítulo LIII, mismo dicho, pero sin el "pajarito" o "golondrina":

¡Tarde piache! -respondió Sancho-. Así dejaré de irme como volverme turco. No son estas burlas para dos veces.
    "You spoke late," said Sancho. "I'd as soon turn Turk as stay any longer. Those jokes won't pass a second time

Fuente texto en inglés

8. Misao

Misao Senior Member

back in Soria
    Zaragoza(Spain)- Spanish
    A mí lo de "tarde piaste, pajarito" me suena a "a buenas horas, mangas verdes", en el sentido de que alguien llegó tarde para solucionar un problema.

9. albertovidal

Bs.As.-Argentina
    Spanish, Argentina
    No busco una explicación sino un "idiom" en inglés para definir esta frase en castellano

10. ivb8921 Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain Spanish

Eso significa más bien " a quien madruga Dios le ayuda"

11. Mexico RV'er Senior Member

Mexico
    English - USA
    Albertovidal, I can't think of any that captures that exactly in AmE. Under the circumstances, I'd probably just say something flip like, "We've moved on. Try to keep up." I would say it jokingly, not critically. I might also say something like "I think you got left in the dust." or "I think we left you behind."

12. moosescoops Senior Member

San Francisco
    English - US
    Yeah, I agree. Another phrase that might rise to the level of idiom is "(well,) it took you long enough!".

13. moosescoops Senior Member

San Francisco
    English - US
    Or "again, something that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY."

:-D

14. Misao

Misao Senior Member

back in Soria
    Zaragoza(Spain)- Spanish
    alberto, comentaba lo de "a buenas horas, mangas verdes" porque mis dos primeros post en este hilo son la equivalencia a esta frase en inglés.

15. SraMetal New Member

Spanish
    Creo que ésta sirve: "You're late for the party"
    En situaciones sociales donde uno de los participantes estaba distraído y finalmente presta atención, se le puede decir sarcásticamente "welcome back" o "glad you finally decided to join us" o "that ship has sailed."

16. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English

Albertovidal, I might use "too little, too late" if, for example, I was married for many years to a man who has been a mean son-of-a-gun. Finally, after 10 years of putting up with his abuses, I decide to leave him. He realizes I am serious and doesn't want me to go, so he tells me he wants to turn over a new leaf and be kinder, a better husband. He is crying and seems to be seriously repentant. But I have built up such a resentment toward him that I don't want to stay no matter how serious he is. I have had enough. The apology and the offer to change might have convinced me last year, but now it is just "too little, too late." Is that what you are trying to express?

17. Raquel8 Senior Member

USA English
    Castellano de Uruguay
    ¿Que tál: You're a day late and a dollar short?

18. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    To me, that is the same as "too little, too late."

Comparte esta página

Cargando...