£1.27 billion as of 2010

HyeeWang

Chinese
The Manchester Ship Canal is a 36-mile (58 km) long river navigation in North West England. Designed to give the city of Manchester direct access to the sea, it was built between 1887 and 1894 at a cost of about £15 million (£1.27 billion as of 2010), and in its day was the largest navigation canal in the world.

Hi,Dear all. I am very confused with the section between the brackets,ie. £1.27 billion as of 2010. Does it mean that the Canal continued to be built until 2010 and the total cost is £1.27 billion? Thanks!
Context: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Ship_Canal

• Copyright

American English
    The bracketed figure is how much 15 million pounds at that time would be worth in today's dollars. The "as of" is a little confusing and I don't normally see equivalents expressed that way.

Copyright

American English
    Perhaps not an error, but maybe not as clear as it could be. I might have said £1.27 billion in today's currency. The reader will know from the date of the article that 2010 is being referred to.

ewie

English English
    The bracketed figure is how much 15 million pounds at that time would be worth in today's dollars. The "as of" is a little confusing and I don't normally see equivalents expressed that way.
    Ahem!:D

As of doesn't sound at all unusual to me there: it's just a handy shorthand for in today's prices:)

Copyright

American English
    Ahem!:D

As of doesn't sound at all unusual to me there: it's just a handy shorthand for in today's prices:)
    I am an evolutionary creature... you did notice that I said "currency" in message 4... long before any serious throat-clearing. :D

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I am an evolutionary creature... you did notice that I said "currency" in message 4... long before any serious throat-clearing. :D
    Yes, and I noticed that you said that £1.27 billion was how much 15 million pounds at that time would be worth in today's dollars in message 2, and that made me cough a little.

HyeeWang

Chinese
    Thank you all.
    1. I looked through as many dictionaries as I can and did not find any entry of "as of" expressing "in today's prices". Is it a new oral phrase?
    2. I paid more attention to "as of" and less to "dollar" . Since you all doubted the usage of "dollar",I ask more about it. Do you mean" dollar" is specifically used to indicate USA dollar, so it can
    not be used here, indicating UK currency?

Copyright

American English
    Dollar is used for any currency that is in dollars, such as Canada, Australia, Hong Kong and the U.S.

It is incorrect for non-dollar currencies, such as France, Italy and the U.K. That's why I switched to "currency" when I realized my mistake.

HyeeWang

Chinese
    Thank you! Suddenly I recognize the usage of "as of" there.

The Manchester Ship Canal is a 36-mile (58 km) long river navigation in North West England. Designed to give the city of Manchester direct access to the sea,
    it was built between 1887 and 1894 at a cost of about £15 million (or £1.27 billion at the price of 2010), and in its day was the largest navigation canal in the world.

< Previous | Next >