£50 billion <worth of orders>

• AliBadass

persian
    It means they have orders for the books that total £50 billion.
    Thank you dear Sabretooth. But I'm afraid I didn't get that completely. Would you mind explaining more or rephrasing your response?

I don't get the part ''that total 50 billion''.

I appreciate your help.

Sabretooth

American English
    Basically, if you added up all of the sales money that is made from selling the books, the total amount would equal £50 billion.

Does this make more sense?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I disagree. They have orders worth $50 billion, for unspecified products, in their financial records ("books"). They're not selling books.

Sabretooth

American English
    When I first read the sentence, I assumed they were talking about real books. After reading it again, you could also take it to mean that there is £50 billion in sales of something (not specified) on the books, meaning kept track of for accounting purposes.

The sentence is somewhat ambiguous.

However, you could use this phrase in the same way in these sentences: "He has $10 worth of food in his cart," or "I have $2 worth of change in my pocket," and so on.

AliBadass

persian
    Thank you. I really appreciate your response. But I'm afraid I have to say your recent response is more ambiguous and made me more confused.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    "They have £50m worth of orders" means they have orders that are worth £50m, which means that people have ordered (promised to buy) things from them that have a combined value of £50m.

< Previous | Next >