À la carte ... mille et une saveurs du vin

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by FreakyFR, Jul 21, 2008.

1. FreakyFR Member

FRENCH
    hey all,

I need to translate this sentence into English :
    "A la carte : vin blanc, rouge, ou rosé. Crus rares et classés, vignobles méditerranéens ou coteaux de la région de Bourgogne, une sélection des mille et une saveurs du vin va aiguiser vos papilles !"

So far, I came up with that : "A la carte : white, red or rosé. Grand cru or ranked wine, mediterranean vineyard or from the Bourgogne hills, a selection of a thousand and one flavours of wine will arouse your taste buds !"

is it okay to leave some French words ?
    Thank you,

FreakyFR

2. Lechatnoir

Lechatnoir Senior Member

PA, USA
    English-USA
    just small details I'd change
    "from the mediterranean vineyards to the Bourgogne hills,"
    "flavours of wine to arouse your taste buds"

as for the french words, every wine bar I've been to in the US has a sprinkling of french. you can't escape it! ;) Its fine with me.

3. Quaeitur

Quaeitur Mod'elle

Lille, France
    French
    Cru classé doesn't mean that the wine is ranked, but that it has been selected and belongs to the happy few.

Also Grand cru and crus rares aren't synonyms. Grand cru is another wine classification.

(vin de) Bourgogne= Burgundy

Also, mille et une isn't often used in AE (I don't know for BE).

A la carte: red, white, rosé. Rare bottles and Cru classé, Mediterranean wines or burgundies, an endless selection of flavors will arouse your taste buds.

4. FreakyFR Member

FRENCH
    Thank you le chat noir!

Do you think : "The whole French heritage waits for you in parisian wine bars." is the right translation for : "C'est tout le patrimoine français qui vous attend dans les bars à vin parisiens" ?

5. Lechatnoir

Lechatnoir Senior Member

PA, USA
    English-USA
    eep! I suppose I should leave wine questions to those who know about wine :-/

6. Lechatnoir

Lechatnoir Senior Member

PA, USA
    English-USA
    The French heritage awaits you in the parisian wine bars sounds a little more fluid...but I solemnly swear to not answer questions about wine until I know my stuff more :) stick with quaeitur!

7. FreakyFR Member

FRENCH
    haha yeah it's tricky, thank you for pointing out all the mistakes Quaeitur! Much appreciated :)
    I am going for :
    "A la carte : white, red or rosé. Rare bottles and Cru classé, from the mediterranean vineyard to the Bourgogne hills, an endless selection of flavours to arouse your taste buds ! "
    but would you leave the C at Cru classé ?

8. Dr. Baha'i Senior Member

Athens, GA
    English - U.S.
    It sounds pretty good at this point, and/but:
    -- I am not a wine expert or even at present a wine drinker, but I don't think "cru classé" means much to American wine-drinkers.
    -- Please pay attention to capitalization: Parisian, Burgundy, Mediterranean.
    -- Make sure you make vineyards plural.

9. Quaeitur

Quaeitur Mod'elle

Lille, France
    French
    I would leave it as Cru classé. And I must insist on Burgundy for Bourgogne. That's how the area is called in English. ;)

Also, and I know it's strange, but I really think that in English one would say red, white or rosé (in this order) where we say blanc, rouge ou rosé. Maybe Lechatnoir can confirm that :)

Edited to add: Although the from Mediterranean vineyards to Burgundy hills is elegant, it isn't what's in the original French sentence.

10. FreakyFR Member

FRENCH
    Thank you all for your suggestions. And I hope you will be happy with : "A la carte : red, white or rosé. Rare bottles and Cru classé, Mediterranean or Burgundy vineyards, an endless selection of flavours to arouse your taste buds ! The whole French heritage awaits you in the Parisian wine bars."

11. Lechatnoir

Lechatnoir Senior Member

PA, USA
    English-USA
    yes, that is how the order flows in English :) a google search confirmed this.

the final product sounds great!

12. FreakyFR Member

FRENCH
    Merci beau cul ( in french but with an English accent) ;)