Ça plane pour moi

Sisyphus

English - USA
Hello. My French is abysmal . . . this is a song title that I'm trying to translate. By looking up the words, I come up with 'This plan is for me' - but that doesn't make much sense. Is there another translation I'm missing?

Merci!

• charlie2

Sisyphus said:
    Hello. My French is abysmal . . . this is a song title that I'm trying to translate. By looking up the words, I come up with 'This plan is for me' - but that doesn't make much sense. Is there another translation I'm missing?

Merci!
    Ça = cela = this
    "plane" is not a noun. It is the third person singular of the verb "planer".
    I think colloquially "planer" means "being high, with the head in the clouds".
    Together, it means "This/Things/The situation makes me feel so well/ great" or "This is great for me".
    Perhaps we should wait for the native speakers to respond.:)

pekinight

french switzerland
    Hi,

My english is not very good but i will try to help you. ^^

I think "ça plane pour moi" can be translated by "all fly for me" or "that(or this) fly for me"

yes "planer" is colloquially "being high", "stoned"

I hope that can help you. :)

pekinight

french switzerland
    I see you are from california.

This song is a little bit like the beach boys songs. ^^

At that time the french music was very infuenced by those songs and by all american music.

CARNESECCHI

French / France
    Hello,
    In this case, Plastic Bertrand means at the same time that he's dead drunk and that he doesn't care about anything : his cat, the girl and so on! So he feels everything is OK!
    I think he does not mean shit, but only alcohol.
    Hope it help!

salvatru

United States English
    I'm still having a problem translating this phrase that I read in an article on the RFI webpage about a politician. The title was: "ca plane pour lui!". Does it mean "Good for him?" Than you.

CARNESECCHI

French / France
    Hello,
    Since it's not his opinion,it must be nothing about alcohol or drugs. Then I think that it means that everything is OK for him, he is successful in what he starts.
    Hope it helps!

mgarizona

US - American English
    The main sense I got from the lyric was "That's cool with me."

I always took planer in the non-drug sense of 'to glide, to move smoothly.' Iguess I related it to how in English someone who just takes things as they come is said to "go with the flow."

Doesn't he say something like 'even if the sky falls on my head and I have no more alcohol, ça plane pour moi!'

Sounds to me like he means he's not bothered by the fact. But then, why should he worry about such paltry matters: He is the king of the divan!

lapinagile

English - USA
    I had the notion that it meant: "This works for me", as in: "People don't like the way I perform this task, but it works for me".

guitarpop

American English
    I see you are from california.

This song is a little bit like the beach boys songs. ^^

At that time the french music was very infuenced by those songs and by all american music.
    Clarification regarding the song:

1. Plastic Bertrand (Roger Jouet je pense) is actually Belgian, not French.

2. The song, "Ça plane pour moi" is a note for note cover of the English group Elton Motello's song, "Jet Boy, Jet Girl".

3. French music in 1977, the year of this song's release, wasn't really being influenced by 60s groups such as the Beach Boys (that's more of the yé-yé era a decade plus before), but, rather, punk groups from the US and the UK.

gm12

UK English
    Clarification regarding the song:

1. Plastic Bertrand (Roger Jouet je pense) is actually Belgian, not French.

2. The song, "Ça plane pour moi" is a note for note cover of the English group Elton Motello's song, "Jet Boy, Jet Girl".

3. French music in 1977, the year of this song's release, wasn't really being influenced by 60s groups such as the Beach Boys (that's more of the yé-yé era a decade plus before), but, rather, punk groups from the US and the UK.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    vs
    "Ça plane pour moi" is a 1977 song by Plastic Bertrand. The music was composed by Lou Deprijck. Yvan Lacomblez wrote the lyrics. Despite being credited to Plastic Bertrand, the vocals were actually performed by Deprijck, the record's producer. "Jet Boy, Jet Girl", an adaptation recorded in November 1977 by Elton Motello, has the same backing track.
    So .....?

guitarpop

American English
    So...

if we're going to use wikipedia as a source (which is a questionable move), PB released "his" version in December of 1977, two months after EM. It's all rather moot, though, as the same person produced both versions and did most of the writing. My intent was to point out the lesser known, earlier version (which is much more interesting in terms of lyrical content but less catchy in my opinion).

JClaudeK

Français France, Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    PB released "his" version in December of 1977, two months after EM.
    vs
    La véritable histoire de "Ça plane pour moi"
    Selon [Alan Ward, chanteur du groupe Elton Motello, et compositeur de Jet Boy Jet Girl] , les deux titres ont été composés à peu près en même temps dans les studios de la société de production RKM, dans la capitale belge. Lou Deprijck en était à chaque fois le maître d'oeuvre.
    A vrai dire, ça n'a plus beaucoup d'importance aujourd'hui. ;)

Mais puisque gm12 a jugé bon de déterrer cette vieille histoire ...........

< Previous | Next >