Ça y est ?

Adeat

français - France
Hello,

I know there are already threads about it, but I don't know if I can use "that's it" in my context...

It's a person who says "Alors ça y est ?" to his friend of whom the baby was just born.

I thought about "so that's it ?"

• misterk

English-American
    No. "So that's it?" has a very different meaning in a context like this. Its connotation is "There's nothing more? That's the best you can do?" Certainly not what you want to say :eek: .

Depending upon the exact meaning you want to convey, perhaps "Has the baby arrived?" "Is everything OK?" "Is everyone OK?"

Adeat

français - France
    Yes, I thought it was weird to say "that's it"...
    Here, "alors ça y est ?" is like "alors c'est bon ?"
    Maybe "So the time finally came ?" ?

Last edited:

Chimel

Français
    Depending upon the exact meaning you want to convey, perhaps "Has the baby arrived?" "Is everything OK?" "Is everyone OK?"
    I don't think it is the meaning Adeat is looking for. The idea is not to ask if everything/everyone is fine, but to get the confirmation that an expected event (which has been possibly delayed a few times) has at last occured. Hence his suggestion"So the time finally came", even it is not very idiomatic, I'm afraid (but I cannot think of anything better...).

Another example would be someone who has been applying a few times for a job. This time, it seems to be the good one. So when you see him, you ask: "Alors, ça y est?" (or "Alors, c'est bon?")

Chimel

Français
    Oui, mais 1) la phrase convient uniquement dans l'exemple de l'accouchement - il faudrait une formule plus générale, applicable aussi à d'autres contextes et 2) la question est purement informative (la réponse peut être aussi bien oui que non) et ne reflète pas l'idée de "c'est enfin le moment".

"Alors, ça y est?" est plutôt une demande de confirmation, sous l'apparence d'une question: j'attends en fait une réponse positive.

AmaryllisBunny

"So, everything's alright/good/fine/okay?" "So, you're/it's all good?"

If it is a question re. whether the baby has been delivered yet, I'd say:

"The baby's out yet?"
    "The baby's here?"

Adeat

français - France
    Actually I would prefer something without "baby" because the fact that they were talking about a baby is dissimulated and is said later...

MommyV

English - SW USA
    How about something quite informal like "So, are we good?". To me this is casual and almost emotionally detached.

Adeat

français - France
    Yes, thank you very much ! I think what you said, uncle bob and mommyV, is really what I mean.

< Previous | Next >