Çantanızı bıraktığınız yerde duruyor.

< Previous | Next >

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
Merhaba!

"Özür dilerim! Bir süreliğine çıkmak zorundayım. Çantanızı bıraktığınız yerde duruyor."

Does the last sentence mean "Your purse remains in the place where you left it."?

çanta = purse
bırakmak = to let go of, to leave, to let go
durmak = to stay

My translation: I'm sorry! I have to go out for a while. Your purse remains in the place where you left it.

Teşekkür ederim!

Attachments

• misi2991

Turkish
    Merhaba!

"Özür dilerim! Bir süreliğine çıkmak zorundayım. Çantanızı bıraktığınız yerde duruyor."

Does the last sentence mean "Your purse remains in the place where you left it."?
    Merhaba. Yes. But there is a typo in the Turkish version. The suffix -ı should be removed from çantanızı.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    Wow! But the person who wrote it was a native speaker! I'm shocked! By the way, does "Çantanız bıraktığınız yerde durar." mean the same thing as "Çantanız bıraktığınız yerde duruyor."? If not, what is the difference? Thanks again!

misi2991

Turkish
    Wow! But the person who wrote it was a native speaker! I'm shocked!
    It is just a typo. Everyone can make spelling mistakes.
    By the way, does "Çantanız bıraktığınız yerde durar." mean the same thing as "Çantanız bıraktığınız yerde duruyor."?
    No. This is an awkward sentece. I can't think of a situation where you can say such a thing. It sounds as if it is a universal truth. By the way, durar is wrong. It should be durur.

LeBro

Turkish
    Wow! But the person who wrote it was a native speaker! I'm shocked!
    I think he just changed his mind seeing that he used the verb "bırakmak" twice and the sentence sounded awkward as it was. So he crossed out the verb "bırakıyorum" and wrote a new verb instead. His first sentence was indeed grammatical (here "çantanızı" is the direct object of the verb "bırakmak"): I leave your backpack where you have left/put (it)". I think he meant he didn't touch it or put it somewhere else so you can find it in the same place where you had put it. But as I stated, it just sounds awkward. So he decided to change the verb (form) "bırakıyorum" to "duruyor", which also changes the person from 1st person to 3rd person, accordingly the grammatical function of "çanta" as well, which became the subject of the sentence but he forgot to delete the accusative ending on "çanta", i.e. "-ı".

To be honest, I am not sure if this reply of mine was necessary but I just happened to write it :)

< Previous | Next >