È tutto un gareggiare a chi...

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Justelah, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Justelah Senior Member

Italiano
    Salve,

sto traducendo un testo, scritto da un ragazzino, che descrive la sua invidia nei confronti di chi, a scuola, ha più di lui.

"In classe è tutto un gareggiare a chi ha l’ultimo modello di cellulare, la maglia o le scarpe di marca; e le amicizie e le simpatie degli altri girano proprio attorno a questo aspetto. Altrimenti non sei preso in considerazione."​

Non so come tradurre la frase in grassetto...

"In class, [...it's all a competion, the winner is.. :confused:] who has the newest cell phone, shirt or branded shoes; friendships and sympathies are all about this aspect. Otherwise, you are not considered."​

Ho cercato di girarci attorno, ma non so come tradurre l'espressione... any help?

2. Mary49

Mary49 Senior Member

Padova
    Italian
    Ciao,
    non so se riesci a correggere il titolo: "un" invece di "in".

3. Justelah Senior Member

Italiano
    Corretto, grazie :thumbsup:

4. Al.ba Senior Member

Italiano
    Magari:
    In class, it's always a race towards the newest cell phone...?

5. Bongone Senior Member

English - Australia
    In class (but I prefer At school...) everyone is in constant competition to see who has the latest cell phone, sweat top or brand name shoes; friendships and loyalties are organized around these aspects. Without them you are simply not considered.

6. theartichoke Senior Member

English -- Canada
    First sentence is spot on, including "At school...", but for "non sei preso in considerazione," I'd say something like "you simply don't count" or, even more naturally, "you're nobody."

7. Justelah Senior Member

Italiano
    Thank you very much everybody, in particular Bongone and theartichoke!
    Following your suggestions, I'll translate...

"At school everyone is in constant competition to see who has the latest cell phone, sweat top or brand name shoes; friendships and loyalties are organized around these aspects. Without them, you're nobody."​

:)

8. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    At school it’s a constant race to have the latest cell/mobile phone, sweat top or brand-name shoes; it’s what friendships and loyalties are based on. Without them you’re a nobody.

9. theartichoke Senior Member

English -- Canada
    Seeing that the native speakers on this thread are me and two Australians, I just want to mention that the North American term is "sweatshirt." This is the first time I've even heard "sweat top"--is that UK as well as Australian? To complicate matters further, a "sweatshirt" is una felpa, and here we've got una maglia. While it seems more likely that a teenager would be talking about a branded sweatshirt than a branded sweater, maybe this is just a sweater?

10. Pietruzzo Senior Member

Salento (Italy)
    Italian
    Definitely not a sweater/ maglione. That's warm but not cool:). I guess sweatshirt is fine, although "maglia" is quite generic here. It could even be a T-shirt.

11. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    I would probably use ‘sweatshirt’ for boys/guys and ‘sweat top’ for boys/guys and girls/women.

12. Justelah Senior Member

Italiano
    Thank you, You little ripper!, theartichoke and Pietruzzo for your in-depth analysis of the terms "sweatshirt", "sweat top" and "sweater"!