Él no vio a nadie ni escuchó nada

Quiendijo

Castellano - Argentina
Hola :)

Quisiera saber si estoy haciendo correctamente esta inversión:

Él no vio a nadie ni escuchó nada.

Neither did he see anybody nor he heard anything.

• The Newt

English - US
    Sí, esta es la forma usual. Yo estoy preguntando por 'inversion'.
    Gracias de todas formas
    No podemos empezar la oración con "Neither..." si no hay algo antes. Por ejemplo:

He didn't hear anything. Neither did he see anyone.

Pero la traducción de "Él no vio a nadie ni escuchó nada" sólo puede empezar con "He..."

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    ...nor he heard anything:cross:
    Here is a page with several examples of "Neither...nor...", including
    "Neither did he take his profession seriously, nor considered enhancing his skills to do well in his career."
    To my ear, this also sounds wrong.
    In my opinion it could be made grammatical (but still literary and old-fashioned) by saying "...nor did he consider..."
    On the same page we have—also literary and old-fashioned—
    "Neither had a safety-cum-risk assessment been undertaken[,] nor had the authority granted product approval."
    Your sentence could become "Neither did he see anybody nor did he hear anything. "
    P.S.: On the same page, similarly with inversion of the auxiliary verb, we have
    "Neither was his case politically motivated nor the party leader a victim of political vendetta."
    In my mind I can make this grammatically acceptable only by inserting "was": "...nor was the party leader..."

Last edited:

Quiendijo

Castellano - Argentina
    "Neither was his case politically motivated nor the party leader a victim of political vendetta."
    In my mind I can make this grammatically acceptable only by inserting "was": "...nor was the party leader..."
    I agree with you.

Your sentence could become "Neither did he see anybody nor did he hear anything. "
    Should I invert the second part too?

In the page you have provided me, there's an example with no inversion in the second part:
    Neither did he take his profession seriously, nor consedered enhancing his skills to do well in his career.

Now I'm confused :confused:

Quiendijo

Castellano - Argentina
    Look what Cenzontle said about that! (And I agree with him).
    I did see what he said, but after reading a lot of examples in the site I forgot it . Thanks for pointing it out!

Summing up, this should be the right sentence:

Neither did he see anybody nor did he hear anything.

Last edited:

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    :tick::thumbsdown:
    It's grammatical, but it doesn't sound natural in modern language.
    More normal: "He didn't see anybody or hear anything."

gengo

American English
    I know, but the point is that we have to learn inversion to pass grammar exams.
    I find it hard to believe that an exam would ask you to create such an unnatural sentence. If it is testing your knowledge of inversion (changing the normal order of words), then this is something we might say:

Él no vio a nadie ni escuchó nada.
    He didn't see anyone, and neither did he hear anything.

That is an inversion of the normal order "he neither heard."

I don't really see how you can have a natural-sounding inversion in that sentence using neither/nor.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >