1. carebear21 New Member

English - Ireland
    I'm trying to translate this sentence -

"L'Exposition coloniale, dont s'occupe Jules Charles Roux, étage ses vingt-neuf pavillons au Trocadéro."

I don't understand what 'étage' is supposed to mean here. Any ideas? The closest I've got to translating it is:
    The colonial Exposition, lead by Julius Charles Reddish, floor/ stage his twenty nine houses to the Trocadero. This makes no sense at all!

2. Miaowmix Senior Member

Quebec - Français
    I think the meaning in this context would be expose.
    The colonial exposition, curated by Julius Charles Reddish (I do not know here whether curated can be used, since it is a temporary position), exposes his twenty nine wings (and not houses) at the (and not to the) Trocadéro. Yet this sentence seems to me incomplete. It would be useful to have more context, to see whether this translation is acceptable.

3. carebear21 New Member

English - Ireland
    Thanks so much, very useful info!

4. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    "under the direction of Jules Charles-Roux" ... I don't see any reason to rechristen the man ... but is there a Trocadéro in Marseille too?

5. Miaowmix Senior Member

Quebec - Français
    I can see what you are saying mgarizona, but my Random House tells me that a curator can be 1) the person in charge of an art collection 2) a manager, superintendent. I was going for style and precision points. It all depends on the degree of liberty of the person translating, no?

And except for a pub named the Trocadéro in Marseilles ;), there is no other place of that name in that city.

6. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    Well Jules Charles-Roux a dirigé the exposition coloniale in 1906 ... in Marseille. I'm a bit confused.

7. Lezert

Lezert Senior Member

Midi-Pyrénées
    french, France
    Just to help you to find the right english word: étager conveys the idea that the land is not horizontal, that there is a difference of level between the different "pavillons" .

I don't think so, what makes you think about Marseilles? And I agree with you for the name of Mr Roux that has not to be changed.

8. carebear21 New Member

English - Ireland
    Woah, thanks for pointing out the Charles-Roux mistake!! Hadn't corrected it from entering the passage into a translation website earlier.. That's just embarrassing! :)

9. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English