à bientôt de te lire

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by French Lauren, Aug 30, 2007.

1. French Lauren Senior Member

Hey everybody!
    Could someone help me to translate an expression? In the end of her letters, my aunt always write "à bientôt de te lire", that means "read you soon", but I know this phrase is not right, or "write me soon".
    In the end of my mails, how could I say "hope to hear from you soon", keeping the sense of "à bientôt de te LIRE"?
    Thank you in advance.

Excuse me, I didn't make myself understood, I'd like an english phrase to say 'à bientôt de te lire*;
    (...)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  2. Milord Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    France - French
    "looking forward to hearing from you"

3. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    I'm stumped! :confused: I can't think of a phrase where we use the verb to read instead of to hear -when it comes to news about a friend or family matter.

4. jmt_dh1 Senior Member

Co. Durham, UK
    UK, English
    You could say just "write soon!", but that's pretty informal. A young person might write that to another young person, but I wouldn't write it to my aunt, for example! As david314 says, I can't think of a suitable phrase either. Milord's phrase is the standard one for letters.

5. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    Combining Milord's idea and keeping the idea of read / write, how about "Looking forward to your next letter"?

6. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    'To hear from somebody' can also mean to receive a letter. So you could easily say 'hope to hear from you soon'. But I also like SwissPete's 'Looking forward to your next letter.'

7. French Lauren Senior Member

Thank you all, lookking forward to your next letter is fine! Could I say "looking forward your next email", is it right?

8. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    Looking forward to your next e-mail.

9. French Lauren Senior Member

Thank you all!
    This website is great and so are you!

10. Ba Nane New Member

english
    I know this post is ages old, but we only use the verb 'reading' in the sense of 'hearing' when using a radio, in my experience: e.g. 'how do you read?' 'reading you loud and clear' so there could in fact be a map there, between reading and hearing, therefore hope to hear from you soon = hope to read you soon, and vice versa. 'Looking forward to your reply' is pretty close, since the reply must be read.