à bientôt de te lire

French Lauren

Hey everybody!
Could someone help me to translate an expression? In the end of her letters, my aunt always write "à bientôt de te lire", that means "read you soon", but I know this phrase is not right, or "write me soon".
In the end of my mails, how could I say "hope to hear from you soon", keeping the sense of "à bientôt de te LIRE"?
Thank you in advance.

Excuse me, I didn't make myself understood, I'd like an english phrase to say 'à bientôt de te lire*;
(...)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • jmt_dh1

UK, English
    You could say just "write soon!", but that's pretty informal. A young person might write that to another young person, but I wouldn't write it to my aunt, for example! As david314 says, I can't think of a suitable phrase either. Milord's phrase is the standard one for letters.

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Combining Milord's idea and keeping the idea of read / write, how about "Looking forward to your next letter"?

Suehil

Medemod
    British English
    'To hear from somebody' can also mean to receive a letter. So you could easily say 'hope to hear from you soon'. But I also like SwissPete's 'Looking forward to your next letter.'

Ba Nane

english
    I know this post is ages old, but we only use the verb 'reading' in the sense of 'hearing' when using a radio, in my experience: e.g. 'how do you read?' 'reading you loud and clear' so there could in fact be a map there, between reading and hearing, therefore hope to hear from you soon = hope to read you soon, and vice versa. 'Looking forward to your reply' is pretty close, since the reply must be read.

< Previous | Next >