à cause de / grâce à

Goldenheart

Arab
Hi ,I want ot know if 'because of' has the same meaning with ' a cause de ' I mean Can we use it for good reasons ?
Like ' I am the fisrt at class because of you ' ( she is my teacher )
Thanks

• French - France
    You can nuance it with "grâce à X" instead of "à cause de X". Grâce à is more positive (you thank X), whereas à cause de is more negativie (you blame X).
    I am the first at class because of you/thanks to you -> Je suis le premier de la classe grâce à vous.
    I am the first at class because of you/I blame you -> Je suis le premier de la classe à cause de vous.

French from France
    I think Goldenheart wants the English translation of "à cause de", not the French translation of "because of".

LARSAY

BI-NATIONAL FRENCH-ENGLISH.
    "because of" can indeed means that the result is negative, so the proper translation since he is First of the class is "grâce à"

English (Midlands UK)
    Both because of and thanks to can be used for good and bad reasons. Obviously, saying I am bottom of the class thanks to you has a strong dose of sarcasm - no thanks are really meant - but it is very common.

In fact, I suggest you avoid the bald phrase "thanks to you", and replace it with something more explicit such as "thanks to your teaching" or "because of your help".