1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

à ce moment-là : then/at that time

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Pure_Yvesil, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Pure_Yvesil

Pure_Yvesil Senior Member

Hey everyone,

I've digged around the forum to find an explanation on the difference between "à ce moment" and "à ce moment-là".

This is how I see it: basically adding a "là" makes the moment more precise, but we're not obliged to put it.

Also, à ce moment can refer to a point in the past as well as a point in the future.

Some examples:

PAST
    À ce moment , il a déclaré la guerre
    À ce moment-là il a déclaré la guerre
    -> At that time (in 1964 for instance), he declared war

FUTURE
    Serait-il possible de me rappeler à ce moment.
    Serait-il possible de me rappeler à ce moment-là?
    -> Would it be possible to call me back then? (tomorrow morning for instance)

Can someone confirm please? :D

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    I think there are two meanings - à ce moment-là - can mean at that precise moment, but in the second example you give, there's also the idea of - in that case (as a consequence) - as well as - at that particular time.

3. Pure_Yvesil

So basically

à ce moment-là:

1) we're not obliged to add "-là" (doesn't alter the meaning)
    2) can refer to a point in time in the future (second example)
    3) can refer to a point in time in the past (first example)
    4) can refer to "dans ce cas-là"

?

4. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    When you add là, that is more precise, as you say. For the first sentence I would probably say - C'était à ce moment, qu'il... or you could say - Il choisit ce moment pour.....

5. Pure_Yvesil

Thank you Franc,

I think the most important thing I wanted to know is if it can refer to a point in the future as well as a point in the past.

Do you also agree with that?

6. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    Yes of course