à coup de tags homophobes

LanguagesWithJack

England - English
Bonjour à tous,

I'm currently trying to find a French synonym and English translation for this phrase, would anyone be able to help me?

It's from an article talking about a poster that was made on the topic of homosexuality:
"Une exposition photo contre l'homophobie installée en plein air à Toulouse (Haute-Garonne) a été vandalisée dans la soirée de vendredi, à coups de tags homophobes et d'affiches arrachées."

I'm not sure if I'm right but is it something along the lines of "by using/with homophobic graffiti"? or something about ruining the poster with homophobic messages?

Merci :)

Last edited:
  • Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi LWJ, if you look at the page here (source: liberation.fr) you can see the sort of thing that was done to the posters. A coups de is simply "by" or "with" in this context. The "tags" are the graffiti artist's/vandal's (take your pick! :p) signature tag or scrawl (as opposed to meaningful words). in the context, I think your version is fine, because it's clear that the graffiti included words ("honte") and not just tags.

I suspect the hack is just trying to get down with the peeps and show he knows what a "tag" is.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >