1. robzuck Senior Member

USA, English
    can someone please help me with this, as far as I can tell from the context in which I heard it, the English meaning would be, in playing sports, to be "in the zone" - is this correct, and can anyone help with the etymology - thanks in advance

2. QuébecCityResident New Member

Québec City
    English - British/Canadian
    I wonder if it is "dedans" - in it.
    I was completely/totally in it. In that sense - "in the zone" sounds correct.

You should wait for a more experienced person to reply, though. Also, was this in France or Québec?

3. Ellea1

Ellea1 Senior Member

London
    Southern French
    Should be written "dedans"

4. robzuck Senior Member

USA, English
    thank you all - it was in paris, and it went very fast - almost "à fond 'dans" - and ellea1 - does 'in the zone' work? - typically, how is the phrase used?

5. Ellea1

Ellea1 Senior Member

London
    Southern French
    Hi

In French you meant? Il est passionné par le football, il est à fond dedans.

In which context did you hear "à fond dedans"? In the zone means "being focused"?

6. robzuck Senior Member

USA, English
    i did mean in french, and i think i've got it - it's a little different than "in the zone", which more specifically refers to an almost hypnotic state one can sometimes attain when playing sports very intensively - what you are telling me suggests: "he is really into it" is a better translation - thanks very much - very helpful

7. robzuck Senior Member

USA, English
    sorry - you post and mine overlapped - in the context I heard it, either "very focused and in a hypnotic state" and "very into it" would both work, even though the meanings differ significantly - hence my wish to clarify, which you did for me - thank you very much - (I suppose 'very into it' could encompass 'in a hypnotic state of focus', but less so the other way around)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013