à la fois conservatoire et esthétique

gemtrad

USA, English
Hello,

I'm not sure I correctly translated "conservatoire" in the following context.

Après la remise en état du support et de la couche picturale, l’intervention de l’atelier, à la fois conservatoire et esthétique, a permis, par la restitution des parties manquantes, de rétablir l’unité visuelle de l’ensemble de la composition.

My attempt:
Following the restoration of the support and the pictorial layer, the Atelier, through preventive and esthetic techniques, was able to re-establish the visual unity of the entire composition by restoring the missing elements.

Thanks for your feedback!

• Gérard Napalinex

French - France
    Hello,

Preventive means you restore prior to ruin, whereas conservatoire means you do that in order to keep things in their current shape or form (think of the verb conserver).

Slight difference, if any :)

Michelvar

quasimodo
    French from France
    Hi,

conservatoire = which aims at preserving things in the original state.

So, preventive could be correct if there is nothing more appropriate.

EDIT : yes, preservative is better!

gemtrad

USA, English
    Thanks to you both Gérard and moustic. Gérard you're right, point taken. How about if I use "...conservation and esthetic techniques..." ?

A little FYI:
    A fellow WR member - GreenWhiteBlue - clearly explained in a previous thread regarding Conserve vs Preserve: "When speaking of works of art or achitecture, "preserve" and "conserve" do not mean the same thing. A building that has been "preserved" has been saved from destruction. A building that has been "conserved" has received some sort of deliberate action that either repaired damage, or that removed some later addition, or that was intended to minimize the damaging effects of time in the future."

< Previous | Next >