à la fois dans le temps et dans l'espace

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by ra-ra, Nov 27, 2006.

1. ra-ra New Member

English, England
    hey I was wondering what à la fois dans le temps et dans l'espace means? Im totally confused and think it would reveal alot more about my translation!! thanks

2. Gordo Senior Member

Kent, England
    Scotland, English
    Hello again! Not sure without context but does ' in both time and space...' fit? Gordon C. :)

3. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    did you try the wordref dictionary? the search button is at the top of the page.

in the definitions for "fois" you will find an expression with "à la fois" - which will help you to figure out that this means "(both) at once" or "(ex. two) at a time" or "at the same time".

you can look up "temps" and "espace" and "dans" as well....

and then you put it all together.... :)

4. jojo032 Member

Paris
    french, France
    both in time and space. something like that
    or both in time track and space (geography)

5. OlivierG

OlivierG Senior Member

Toulouse, France
    France / Français
    Hi, ra-ra :)

I renamed your thread in order to comply with the WordReference rules:
    Olivier

6. murphc13 Member

Ireland
    Hi

Came across this thread as I was wondering if my sentence was correct: I want to say that the value of society changes depending on the time/era and where you are in the world. Does the following phrase convey this correctly? Is this the correct use of dans le temps et dans l'espace?

Son contenu depende largement de l'appartenance de l'acteur à tel ou tel systeme de valeurs, et des moeurs de la société, qui changent dans le temps et dans l'espace.

(hope Im not breaking any posting rules with this kind of question? eek! :)

Merci a tous!