1. vermillionxtears Senior Member

USA; Vereinigte Staaten; États-Unis
    American English (general American dialect)
    Hello. One of my French friends was, well, speaking French, and mentioned the phrase "à la folie, jusqu'à la mort," but I was unable to ask what it meant since he left right after. (Please note that I'm only guessing that the first a had a grave accent over it. I thought it would only make sense, though.) I took what was after the comma to be "to death," especially since he mentioned the phrase "Je t'aime" in the previous sentence. Help on translating "à la folie", s'il vous plaît?

2. timpeac

timpeac Senior Member

England
    English (England)
    Yes to love someone "à la folie", literally "to madness" is kind of a set phrase in French meaning "very much", or "madly" I suppose.

3. vermillionxtears Senior Member

Ah, je comprends! Thanks for the help!

4. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    Perhaps, in the colloquial: to be crazy about someone

5. Tedehur Member

French
    That's it.
    That person said that he/she (literally) loves you to madness, to death.

There is a game played by kids or lovers, where you remove the petals from a daisy and say a short sentence for each of them :
    Il/elle m'aime... (He/she loves me)
    1. Un peu (a little)
    2. Beaucoup (a lot)
    3. Passionnément (with passion)
    4. À la folie (I'm crazy about you)
    5. Pas du tout (not at all)

What you say when removing the last petal is supposed to represent what the person you think at feels about yourself.

6. vermillionxtears Senior Member

Ah, that's really interesting, actually. So "Il m'aime à la folie." would be literally "He loves me to madness." ("I love you to death." would sound just as dumb if it wasn't present in English) or, simply, "He loves me madly," since "to madness" would be an adverb prepositional phrase anyways, describing how he loves me.

I think that's a worthwhile expression.
    Merci, tous!

7. macta123 Senior Member

India
    India,Hindi
    " madly " is the most apt equivalent for " à la folie "

8. kjc_us Senior Member

Paris
    British English

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just noticed! Thanks for this, this is really interesting - I always wondered why they translated the title for the film "À la folie... Pas du tout" into "He loves me... He loves me not" because I thought - 'What? that translation is nothing like the French!' but now it makes so much sense, because 'He loves me, he loves me not, he loves me, he loves me not' etc. etc. is what we do with daisy petals. Interesting. :)

9. apcoolj Member

India, hindi
    I have another question regarding this phrase. As a soccer fan, and fan of FC Barcelona, I've found this phrase, "Barcelona à la folie", as a chapter in a book. How would one translate this?

Madly in love with Barcelona?

10. Reliure

Reliure Senior Member

:thumbsup:That's the way I understand it !

11. xiancee

xiancee Senior Member

france
    French
    This is close to the "tinker tailor ..." nursery rhyme where children play at guessing or telling the occupation of their partner by counting petals ....
    It's the title of a book by Le Carré as well ...
    reference here

12. lareinesoleil New Member

English - America
    So, can you use à la folie to mean crazy about anything? Could you say vivre à la folie, and would that have a good connotation?

Thank you!

13. Tedehur Member

French
    Actually not. "À la folie" refers to love only.
    Well, perhaps not "only", but I can't find any situation where you would use "à la folie" with another verb.

14. franc 91 Senior Member

France
    English - GB
    to excess - over the top - no holds barred etc