à la hausse au fur et à mesure que

lelapinnoir

English
Hi would appreciate some help here in understanding this sentences in Le Figaro article.

Xynthia coûtera un milliard aux assureurs. Ces premières estimations pourraient être revues à la hausse au fur et à mesure que seront recensés l'ensemble des sinistres.

Does this sentence mean, "Xynthia will cost a billion on insurance agents. These first estimations can be reviewed again as one goes along and to the measure of being listed together of these sinisters."

My translation for the last line seems awkward. For your kind assistance pls. Thanks.

• GEmatt

English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    Xynthia coûtera un milliard aux assureurs. Ces premières estimations pourraient être revues à la hausseau fur et à mesure que seront recensés l'ensemble des sinistres.

Does this sentence mean, "Xynthia will cost a billion on insurance agents. These first estimations can be reviewed again as one goes along and to the measure of being listed together of these sinisters."
    Hello,
    I re-coloured the problematic bits, so that you can see which elements of the phrase belong together. Both elements have been addressed here before; I've provided the links to some threads that might help.

You have:
    revoir quelque chose à la hausse, and
    au fur et à mesure (que)

My suggestion:
    Xynthia will cost the insurers one billion. These initial estimates could be revised upward as the number of accidents are counted.
    It's a bit clumsy, as I'm not totally sure of the insurance jargon, especially regarding recenser.

< Previous | Next >