à la limite ça ne me regarde pas

kirakuni8

English - North American
I was watching a Québécois talk show and I had "de la misère" understanding what was being said. i understand that à la limite can mean "if worse comes to worse" or "worst case scenario", but i think their might be a different meaning here. this is the context :

"Ça ne me regarde pas ce que tu penses de moi ... à la limite ça ne veut pas dire que je ne suis pas ouvert à m'améliorer puis à entendre des choses si j'ai des défauts de caractère, mais ce que tu penses de moi, qu'est-ce que tu veux que j'y fasse ?"

my try :

"It's none of my business what you think about me ... in the end it doesn't mean that i'm not open to improving myself if i have any bad character traits but .... what you think of me, what do you want me to do about it?"

please help me correct my translation !

merci beaucoup !

• Phil512

Français - Belgique
    "A la limite" sounds to my frenchspeaker'ears rather trendy and overused often without a very specific meaning.
    To all those interesting (and, I think, adequate) translations (to start with the initial "in the end" by the OP), I would maybe add "all in all" or "all things considered".
    But it's clear I am no native.

Language Hound

American English
    "A la limite" sounds to my frenchspeaker'ears rather trendy and overused often without a very specific meaning...
    Exactly what "at the end of the day" sounds like to my ear!:D
    If I had a dollar for every time I've heard it, I'd be a millionaire!

Icetrance

US English
    "A la limite" sounds to my frenchspeaker'ears rather trendy and overused often without a very specific meaning.
    To all those interesting (and, I think, adequate) translations (to start with the initial "in the end" by the OP), I would maybe add "all in all" or "all things considered".
    But it's clear I am no native.
    Absolutely:tick:, "all and all", "all things considered" = when it really comes down to it

You take your pick!:)

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    A la limite" sounds to my frenchspeaker'ears rather trendy and overused often without a very specific meaning.
    I agree that it's overused, but since the thread was opened in 2009, can we really say "trendy"? If so, it's been trendy for quite a while. ;)

Icetrance has reopened an old thread, and I notice that the title and provided sentence don't match.

Moi je le comprends comme au bout du compte - et superflu / utilisé mal à propos - dans la phrase originale, si c'était vraiment :
    à la limite ça ne veut pas dire...
    À mon avis, c'est in the end / at the end of the day qui conviennent le mieux pour ce contexte précis.
    J'aime bien aussi : If anything...

Phil512

Français - Belgique
    Yes it's been trendy for a long while and, since then, used and overused (as you know)....and everybody in this thread seems to agree that it doesn't mean much.
    Au bout du compte/in the end, and most of the rest works.

< Previous | Next >