à la recherche d’exigence, de culture golfique et de sensibilité

Matt15

English (UK)
Hi all,

"Le parcours est destiné aux joueurs de golf à la recherche d’exigence, de culture golfique et de sensibilité."

Is the above basically saying that the course is designed for players of all levels?

Thanks in advance.

• Hi,

I don't think so. "A la recherche d'exigence" sounds to me like this course if for players who want to be challenged. A complete rookie might want to try something that seems more easily achievable.

All in all, if I read this as an ad for instance, I would think this course is targeting golfers who show a certain degree of dedication to the sport and who understand the culture around it. I don't think it would really appeal to the casual player who just wants to swing a few balls once in a while.

Philippides

Français - France
    It is designed for players who seek demanding courses, as well as (I don't really see the link) golf culture and .... (I don't know how to translate sensibilité here but anyway, this second part of the sentence is just marketing bullshit!)

Matt15

English (UK)
    I thought maybe the 'sensibilité' somehow refers to people who just want some introduction to golf. Like maybe lessons for beginners. And therefore saying the golf course is for players who want something demanding while also being suitable for beginners. Have I misunderstood?

Uncle Bob

British English
    Like the ShaggyVinny and Philippides I think you have. "Sensitivité" refers to a mentality of refined golfers and, like Philippides, I have no idea what that is other than marketing-speak. Perhaps you could translate it as "feeling", which is fairly neutral and meaningless though it doesn't have the marketing aspect.

Matt15

English (UK)
    Thanks everyone. Would it work maybe to say '... looking for high standards, golf culture and appreciation'? I know 'appreciation' isn't really a translation of 'sensibilité' but I think it could have the same effect for the purpose of this text.

balzar

English - Ireland
    Thanks everyone. Would it work maybe to say '... looking for high standards, golf culture and appreciation'? I know 'appreciation' isn't really a translation of 'sensibilité' but I think it could have the same effect for the purpose of this text.
    Quite agree with your translation - I wonder if the culture golfique might mean "golfing tradition" , i.e. a very famous course such as St. Andrews?

< Previous | Next >