à presént

underhouse

Italian
Hi, everybody!

I have this phrase:

"tu seras mon futur à presént"

I have seen that "à presént" means "now", "today", but here it doesn't seem to fit:

"you will be my future now/today" (?)

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    I like how "you will be my future today" sounds. Certainly "at present" would be awkward to say the least. The idea is, of course, the contrast between tenses to create pleasant imagery.

bluegentian

Ireland, English
    Hi Underhouse,
    As I thought the context is poetic, in that it seems to be a line from the lyrics of a song (Emma Daumas - Tu Seras)?. So I think the words are possibly intentionally juxtaposed for poetic effect - the future and the present - not exactly opposites but definitely distinct from each other, at least at a given point in time, and then the future becomes the present...
    Although "now" is a correct translation of "à présent", you could probably keep the quirky effect of the original by saying "in the present" (as in at the present time) or "at present".
    See what other people think though.

bluegentian

Ireland, English
    I hadn't seen cropje_jnr's post when I posted. And yes, actually, "future today" has the sort of poetic effect this calls for.

underhouse

Italian
    I thnink you are right: the words "futur" and "à presént" are probably intentionally juxtaposed for poetic effect.
    Thank you both very much for your hepl!

< Previous | Next >