1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

à ras-bord [raz-bord]

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Valis834, Apr 30, 2010.

  1. Valis834 Member

    English - US
    I'm uncertain of this phrase, which appears in a document describing the tense atmosphere of a protest/riot:
    "Vision étonnante dans cette atmosphère chargée à raz-bord de haine étouffante ..."

    My attempt:
    "A surprising sight in this atmosphere loaded [to the limit?] with stifling hatred..."

    Is that accurate, or is there a more specific idiomatic meaning?

    Merci en avance!
  2. la grive solitaire

    la grive solitaire Senior Member

    United States, English
    à ras-bord (or ras le bol) means to be filled to the very top, like a glass of water that one more drop would make overflow. Perhaps you could say: overflowing with stifled hatred / resentment?
  3. Valis834 Member

    English - US
    Sounds perfect. Thanks!
  4. gotasha New Member

    What would the translation be for "ton vase rempli à raz-bord"

    Does "raz-bord" still mean "overflowing"?
  5. OutsinceMons

    OutsinceMons Senior Member

    English GB

    Gotasha, may I suggest 'filled to the brim'?

    Any use?
  6. Uncle Bob Senior Member

    British English
    Shorter would be "brimful" or, if you prefer, "brimfull".
  7. SergueiL Senior Member

    Whatever thé translation is, only one spelling in French : à ras bord.

Share This Page