à + restaurant avec "Le" ou "La" dans le nom

Old Novice

USA, English
Bonjour tout le monde.

Comment est-ce qu'on dit "to [a restaurant]" quand le nom du restaurant commence avec "Le" ou "La"?

Est-ce qu'on dit, "je vais à La Petite Chaise" ou "je vais au La Petite Chaise," par exemple? Et "à Le Petit Zinc" ou "au Le Petit Zinc"? Ou quelque chose d'autre?

Merci d'avance.

• Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    Hello Old Novice

You would say "Je vais à La Petite Chaise" and "Je vais au Petit Zinc" (au really means "à le"... so you wouldn't say Le twice). I hope it helps. :)

Old Novice

USA, English
    Hello Old Novice

You would say "Je vais à La Petite Chaise" and "Je vais au Petit Zinc" (au really means "à le"... so you wouldn't say Le twice). I hope it helps. :)
    Thanks, Nicomon. I wasn't sure if the gender of "restaurant" trumped the gender of "Chaise", for example, or how to handle the possibility of two "the"s. I guess for the latter its the same as in English. No one says "the The New York Times" or "the The Wall Street Journal."

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    Thanks, Nicomon. I wasn't sure if the gender of "restaurant" trumped the gender of "Chaise", for example, or how to handle the possibility of two "the"s. I guess for the latter its the same as in English. No one says "the The New York Times" or "the The Wall Street Journal."
    You're absolutely correct about the two "the"s:thumbsup: and it wouldn't have been entirely wrong to say "au La Petite Chaise" (to really mean "au resto La Petite Chaise") but it sounds more natural to me to use chaise as the gender, if you don't specify resto. ;)

< Previous | Next >