à sa suite

< Previous | Next >

Rachel26

English UK
Hi everyone,

How can I say A sa suite in english?

A sa suite, nous retrouvons dans leurs site les grandes manufactures.

Do I just say As a result?

Thanks

Moderator's note: two threads have been merged to create this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • RuK

English/lives France
    "A la suite" would be "as a result".
    "A sa suite" might be "following her/his lead", literally we are following a person who is showing us a location.

I think it can't be "dans leurs site", btw.

cmmc

USA- English
    On notera par ailleurs que la cérémonial de RM 65 est reproduit de façon lacuneuse, tandis que des éléments nouveaux s’accumulent à sa suite.
    Hi! i'm not sure what to do with "à sa suite". Here's an attempt:
    "One will also note that the ceremony of RM 65 is reproduced in a lacunose fashion, while some new elements are gathered in its wake? "in what follows"?

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Angle O'Phial

USA English
    lacunose (I had to look it up) is a very rare word in English. How about slapdash?

I think you've got a good idea with in its wake. Perhaps

One will note, in addition, that the RM 65 ceremony* is reenacted in a slapdash manner, while new elements† gather in its wake.

* no idea what that is
    † what kind of elements? a better translation might be possible if we knew

cmmc

USA- English
    Thanks for your reply.

This is from a commentary discussing how the Rule of Benedict adapts the monastic rituals (ceremonies) it takes from the Rule of the Master. In this particular instance, it rearranges the parts of the ritual for welcoming guests that it takes from the Rule of the Master and then adds other new elements to it.

I agree that lacunose is not commonly used, but haven't been able to find another good word. "Slapdash" seems too informal for this context. I'm not sure if "hit and miss" is any better. The author is saying that he leaves a lot of stuff out.

Further suggestions?

Angle O'Phial

USA English
    So maybe something like:

One will note, in addition, that the ceremony of RM 65 is carried out with many/significant omissions, while new (ceremonial) elements are added in its wake.

< Previous | Next >