UK - English, Chinese
à s'y méprendre

What would it translate as?

Thank you in advance

Moderator note: multiple threads merged to create this one

Last edited by a moderator:
  • JeanDeSponde

France, Français
    Se méprendre is to be mistaken (exactly the same etymology).
    A s'y méprendre means literally that you could be mistaken by sthg; hence something like hard to tell apart, I guess.
    Shakespeare et Molière se ressemblent, c'est à s'y méprendre !
    Jane Austen and Celine are so similar, it's hard to tell them apart!
    (OK, not a valid example)

CARNESECCHI

French / France
    Hello,
    This expression needs some context.
    Example : "Ils se ressemblent à s'y méprendre" -> "They are so alike that you can't tell who's who" (or which is which)
    Hope it helps!

JeanDeSponde

France, Français
    Right - the only meaning I can think of about "à s'y méprendre" is when talking about a strong likeness, real or figurative. Not used for other kinds of possible mistakes.

twinsen

Russian
    Hello!

I give up. I gave my best rifling through whatever to find out what it means, but I still don't quite get it. So I'm kindly asking you to make it explicit so no one else should not need looking elsewhere.

What dea it mean?

Here is the sentence:

"...ressemblaient à s'y méprendre aux étoiles qui brillaient au-dessus de nos têtes"

Thank you!

Akinci

Turkish
    car la ville, et les Alliages, et les temples, et les collines portaient ineffaçable la marque ancienne, et ressemblaient toujours, ressemblaient à s'y méprendre, à quelque vieille estampe du temps des vieux Shogouns, à quelque kakémono minutieux, où le pinceau d'un artiste mort depuis plusieurs siècles aurait éternisé les merveilles d'une capitale des Hôjô ou des Asliikaga... what is the meaning of.... ressemblaient toujours,ressemblaient à s'y méprendre, à quelque

Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    You should just see it as a set expression, "ressemble à s'y méprendre à" = " could be easily mistaken for ".

If you want to understand the structure :
    -ressemble à s'y méprendre = ressemble tellement qu'on pourrait s'y tromper = ressemble tellement que cette ressemblance pourrait nous tromper : "y" stand for "cette ressemblance".

ClémentLR

French
    Hello,

I'm writing an article about copyrights. What do you think about this translation? I'm not sure at all of the end.

(FR) Imaginez que vous soyez en boite de nuit et que vous entendiez un titre qui ressemble à s'y méprendre au votre
    (EN) Imagine you are into a nightclub and you hear a track that sounds like yours so that it can be mistaken

Thank you in advance!

Clément

WestFevalia

French - France
    Hello Clément!
    Voici ma suggestion : ... that sounds so much like yours that you can't tell them apart/you can't tell which is which
    J'espère que ça peut t'aider. Mais dans le doute, attendons qu'un native passe par là

Kelly B

USA English
    Welcome to the forum, Clément,
    I like WestFevalia's suggestions; I do think some extra words are required for clarity in English. You could also finish it with ... that one could be mistaken for the other.

Last edited: