à ta place

• alisha_miss_world

mauritius, french, english, urdu
    But it depends on the context...
    it could mean it can be in the place on someone.. like where he is sitting....
    example: Go and sit in/into your place

or it could mean another thing in the sentence :
    in your place, i wouldn't do that

toulouse

france
    sorry Alisha, "si j'étais dans ta place" isn't correct ;

"si j'étais toi" or "si j'étais à ta place" is correct ;

"if I were you" is the translation

Harry Batt

USA English
    I saw and heard the meaning of <<à ta place>> in a brasserie located across the street from Parc Vincennes The brasserie proprietor was examining a classy and lost spaniel for a small crowd. I heard the proprietor shout, << À ta place ! ! >> The I turned and saw the brasserie's dog sulk over to a corner but it began to creep back to the boss. Again, << À ta place >> This encounter took place a half dozen times before the proprietor stood, pointing to the dog's corner. This scene proved to me that housecleaning creates the concept that everyone has their alloted << place >>. I heard it from mother a zillion times , "A place for everything and Everything in its place.

toulouse

france
    I saw and heard the meaning of <<à ta place>> in a brasserie located across the street from Parc Vincennes The brasserie proprietor was examining a classy and lost spaniel for a small crowd. I heard the proprietor shout, << À ta place ! ! >> The I turned and saw the brasserie's dog sulk over to a corner but it began to creep back to the boss. Again, << À ta place >> This encounter took place a half dozen times before the proprietor stood, pointing to the dog's corner. This scene proved to me that housecleaning creates the concept that everyone has their alloted << place >>. I heard it from mother a zillion times , "A place for everything and Everything in its place.

you're right but it's a different meaning than "à ta place" ; maybe you're right again : maybe (I'm prone to agree with that) the french society is a very "closed" one with "a place" for everybody.

a philosophical discussion about french society now...

< Previous | Next >