à très bientôt

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by puiokjh, May 2, 2007.

1. puiokjh Member

Indiana
    English US
    Hello everyone! What does bien tôt mean? The context is "a tres bien tôt." Thanks a lot!

2. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod (AL mod)

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Hello
    Actually it's in one word: "bientôt"
    So "à très bientôt" would be "see you very soon" (if you can say such a thing in English)

3. puiokjh Member

Indiana
    English US
    That's why I couldn't find it. Thanks a lot!

4. Avignonaddict Senior Member

France
    English - British
    So "à très bientôt" would be "see you very soon" (if you can say such a thing in English)

Yes, DearPrudence, you can!​

5. tdo New Member

English
    "A très bientôt j’espère"

I met this girl who speaks french and she put this phrase at he end of her email to me. Can someone translate this to English for me?

Thanks

6. la traductrice

la traductrice Senior Member

"India - Tamil"
    "Hoping to meet you/speak to u very soon".....

7. aviv chadash Member

English
    je vous fais des bisous et a très bientôt en france ou en angleterre?
    Okay, the first bit is just a 'signing off', goodbye type courtesy gesture (yes, one of those). But the second part - 'et a tres bientot...' - I can't get. Something about very soon in France or England...? If it was see you soon, in France or England, what would the questioon mark be for? Although I doubt this is what it means.
    Any help is much appreciated.

8. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

It means See you soon--in France or in England? (who knows where)

9. Kotava Senior Member

français - France
    see you soon in France or in England ... with ?... perhaps we will see each other... if you decide to come to France or if we decide to go to England

10. 82riceballs Senior Member

English - USA
    I was writing to an AirBnb host to ask if I could stay with them, and a French friend told me to add "à très bientôt" at the end of my message. I'm wondering if this phrase also means "looking forward to hearing from you soon" in addition to "see you soon"?

The reason I'm wondering this is because at that time I was not aware if I was going to meet this host- I was asking for their permission to stay at their place.

Any help is appreciated- thanks!