âme damnée

• RocketGirl

Canada, English
    ??

I don't think I know what an "âme damnée" is, but it sounds like a "soul that is damned (to hell)". It must be an idiom ?

FAC13

English, UK
    Is "âme damnée" an alternative to "bouc émissaire"?

If it is then "scapegoat" is the English equivalent.

... but I'm probably way off target!

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
    ??

I don't think I know what an "âme damnée" is, but it sounds like a "soul that is damned (to hell)". It must be an idiom ?
    It is. It's a bit like when you sell your soul to the devil, except that in this case, you're linked with your boss (like a henchman to his mobster's "godfather").

Is it understandable?

Enitram

french France
    Une "ame damnée" is somebody devoted to another person who uses her/him as a tool for dirty work (killing, robery, etc).

Martine

RocketGirl

Canada, English
    Une "ame damnée" is somebody devoted to another person who uses her/him as a tool for dirty work (killing, robery, etc).

Martine
    Ok... I'm not so sure the word here is henchman then, because it seems to me that the "âme damnée" has no choice in the matter whereas a henchman does.

I can't think of any similar idiom in English. I'd probably say "He owns me" or "He owns my soul" or "My soul belongs to him".

EDIT: One idiom (although I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for but I"ll give it a shot) is "I'm his pawn" (which means, like in a game of chess, "he can move me wherever he wants to")

EDIT 2: Expanding on the "pawn" idea, how about "I'm a pawn in his evil/twisted/sinister game/plot/plan"

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
    Thanks. I might take on of your expressions RocketGirl or simply forge my own awkward one :D (I'll just have to try to make it understandable in context)

RocketGirl

Canada, English
    :)

How about combining them ? I don't really know your context, but what about "That bastard :warning: owns me. I'm nothing but a pawn in this twisted game he's playing".

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
    :)

How about combining them ? I don't really know your context, but what about "That bastard :warning: owns me. I'm nothing but a pawn in this twisted game he's playing".
    Wouldn't do, I'm afraid. In this case, a very charismatic female "godmother" owns a brutal sadistic henchman who is capable of anything to please her. He is not exactly "forced" to obey, but the result is pretty much the same.

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
    You both have a good point here. RocketGirl for the sexy part and edwingill because this suggests the bestiality of the character... Interesting. :nods:

KatishaKat

India English, Hindi
    I wouldn't take manservant in this context. It does not imply a relationship of power in the sexual sense where he is willing to do anything.
    Nil-The-Frogg said :" In this case, a very charismatic female "godmother" owns a brutal sadistic henchman who is capable of anything to please her. He is not exactly "forced" to obey, but the result is pretty much the same."

Manservant would be the guy that brings her mail in and polishes her leather boots perhaps. Hardly any risk of becoming an âme damnée for that :)

mct16

English Britain
    In French books and comics the term "âme damnée" comes across as someone who acts as an advisor to a, usually, evil person, the villain of the piece, who relies on his advice. The "âme damnée" is subordinate to a master but acts with a certain amount of authority of his own.

Examples would be Darth Vader as the "âme damnée" of the Emperor; or perhaps Goebbels was the same to Hitler.

Suitable English terms could be "henchman" or "stooge", maybe even "advisor" or "associate", though I think that the term "damnée" is supposed to convey that the parties involved are the villains.

sorry66

English, England
    I would have said 'evil minion' but on doing a Google search for the term I found that there is now some new animated film character called 'Evil Minion' that looks extremely daft.

< Previous | Next >