ça caille = il fait très froid

edstar

English/United States
Hello
I have justed started learning French and have come across this phrase
ça caille = il fait très froid, I have looked up the words in the dictionary and have come up with the following but is does not make sense to me.

it is (oiseau) quail = it is very chilled

Could I get some help with the meaning.

Thank you ...

• LV4-26

I don't think the verb cailler (as in ça caille) has any connection with la caille, the bird (quail, as you rightly pointed out). It just happens to be spelt the same.

I think it's got more to do with cailler in the sense of coagulate, though I didn't check that.

As suggested by edwingill (and yourself) it's a colloquial equivalent of il fait très froid.
    Same meaning and same register : ça pèle.

anangelaway

French
    Bonjour Edstar et bienvenue ! :)

It is indeed a colloquial way to say 'il fait froid'.
    - ça/il caille aujourd'hui/ici
    - Je me caille.... (se cailler) as well used.
    From the TFLi
    B. P. anal., pop. Être figé par le froid. On caille sur cette plage (DUB.). Ça caille. Il fait froid.

edwingill

England English
    LV4-26 said:
    I don't think the verb cailler (as in ça caille) has any connection with la caille, the bird (quail, as you rightly pointed out). It just happens to be spelt the same.

I think it's got more to do with cailler in the sense of coagulate, though I didn't check that.

As suggested by edwingill (and yourself) it's a colloquial equivalent of il fait très froid.
    Same meaning and same register : ça pèle.
    tu as raison selon Petit Robert
    coaillier
    XIIe; lat. coagulare ® coaguler

LV4-26

edwingill said:
    tu as raison selon Petit Robert
    coaillier
    XIIe; lat. coagulare ® coaguler
    Merci. Et j'ajoute l'étymologie de la caille (l'oiseau) : quaccola (VIIIe).
    It sometimes happen that two words of different etymologies end up as homonyms.

< Previous | Next >