ça n'a jamais marché entre nous

olympiades

Français
Hi everyone,

I want to translate "ça n'a jamais marché entre nous". In French it applies to any kind of relationship, so it can refer to lovers, relatives, co-workers, etc.

Can I just say: "It never worked out between us"? (or "between me and him/her, etc." ?)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

• Language Hound

American English
    Ok, so I understand "things" has to be used as subject to make it understandable.
    No, that's not the case. We do say "It never worked out between us."
    "Things never worked out between us" sounds a little more like it could apply to different kinds of relationships.
    However, both of them sound to me, at least, like they refer to a romantic relationship.
    For non-romantic relationships, I would tend to say something more like:
    We had our problems.
    We never really clicked.
    We never saw eye to eye on anything.
    We were on completely different wavelengths...
    or anything else that describes why ça n'a jamais marché.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    The "out" may not be necessary, depending on the meaning. "Things never worked out" means that the result was never satisfactory. "Things never worked between us" refers to day-to-day life.

olympiades

Français
    The "out" may not be necessary, depending on the meaning. "Things never worked out" means that the result was never satisfactory. "Things never worked between us" refers to day-to-day life.
    Ok, so I will remove the "out" and settle for "work" :)

However, both of them sound to me, at least, like they refer to a romantic relationship.
    Actually the relationship I'm referring to is between two brothers. I should have specified it.

< Previous | Next >