ça y est!

xanana

Malaisie (English)
Bonjour,

Could someone confirm the usage for "ça y est" ?

I've seen it used in situations where:

a) You're looking for something actively. Suddenly you find it. So you scream "ça y est"!

b) If you meet someone that you're expecting or even unconsciously expecting.
e.g. "ça y est. Vous êtes rentré."

c) I've seen it used to start an non-fiction article whereby I assumed it's to mean something like "Finally". e.g.

"Finally, you have the house to yourself."

Am I correct ? Other alternative usages esp. convivial exchanges among friends ? Merci d'avance.

X

Last edited by a moderator:
  • zebedee

Gt. Britain - English
    xanana said:
    Bonjour,

Could someone confirm the usage for "ça y est" ?

I've seen it used in situations where:

a) You're looking for something actively. Suddenly you find it. So you scream "ça y est"!

b) If you meet someone that you're expecting or even unconsciously expecting.
    e.g. "ça y est. Vous êtes rentré."

c) I've seen it used to start an non-fiction article whereby I assumed it's to mean something like "Finally". e.g.

"Finally, you have the house to yourself."

Am I correct ? Other alternative usages esp. convivial exchanges among friends ? Merci d'avance.

X
    I've always used "ça y est" to mean "That's it!" or "Got it!" or "Done it!" depending on the context of course.

Zeb

charlie2

Hi, everyone,
    I have heard an expression which sounds like the captioned for many times but I have never had the chance to read it.

Have I heard it right? When is it used? What does it mean?

On context I could at least give the following:
    (1) I met someone I knew in the corridor and I said It is raining. She said : Il pleut. Ça y est! O la la! and left, not expecting any answer.
    (2) I checked out from the hotel. The reception said :Ça y est!
    (3) I entered a shop. The shop assistant was doing something with her back towards me. I greeted her. She turned her back and greeted me high-spiritedly : Ça y est!
    (4) Two boys were reading two different books. They kept saying to each other :Ça y est, X! Ça y est, Y!

Is there a standard response for this? Do you "Ça y est!" back?

Thank you so much.

le chat noir

French
    "Ca y est" basically means "it is done", "I am done" or "it has happened".

It can also be used in the litteral meaning ("it is inside it"), like in
    "tu connais le prix de ce truc ?" [you know how much this thing costs?]
    "Regarde dans le catalogue, ça y est" [Look in the catalog, it's there]

(1) has the nuance of "I knew it would happen"
    (2) means "done [with the formalities]"
    (3) means "I am done [with whatever I was doing and now I'm all yours :)]"
    (4) I'm not sure of this one. It could mean "I'm done reading X", "I found X in the book"

Considering the various possible cases of use, I don't think there is a standard answer.
    As for using it as an answer, it is possible whenever you want to say you're done with something. An equivalent would be "c'est fait" or "c'est fini".

charlie2

le chat noir said:
    (4) I'm not sure of this one. It could mean "I'm done reading X", "I found X in the book"
    Thank you, your answers are always comprehensive.:)
    Sorry, I should have added more. They were comparing the books they were reading. What followed were "C'est pareil!" and "Non, c'est pas pareil!" and it went on and on.
    Thanks again.

Cath.S.

français de France
    (1) has the nuance of "I knew it would happen"
    (2) means "done [with the formalities]"
    (3) means "I am done [with whatever I was doing and now I'm all yours ]"
    4. This one sounds to me like your catalog example, Le Chat Noir, they were looking for whatever items, say names of video games, and told each other whenever they stumbled upon a name they recognized.

alain larochelle

Québec, francophone
    I must say that to 'Ça y est' back would be nice and somewhat funny in some circumstances, giving confirmation to an emotional ça y est. But it certainly isn't standard!

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Ça y est also means "Got it!" as in "I understand" or "I found it!" For example: If two people are working on something together, when they finish, they might say, Ça y est! = All done! Similarly, if you were sent to find or do something, when you came back, the person who sent you might say Ça y est? and you'd answer, Oui, ça y est.

LV4-26

One of my Math teachers used to ask repeatedly ça y est ?
    She wanted to know whether we'd understood what she'd just said.
    (And I used to note down how many times she would say it in the course of an hour class.:eek: )

Starcreator

Canada, English
    I think in the "Il pleut" example she was being sarcastic - I have heard ça y est used sarcastically. Sort of when someone states the obvious the retort is "ça y est". For example:

Savez-vous qu'on vous appelle "John"?
    GASP! Ça y est, c'est vrai!

Has anyone else heard this?

vanjoseph

English,USA
    Bonjour encore,
    J’ai une question concernant la phrase “ça y est”. Je ne comprends pas quand on utiliserai cette phrase. Comme: "Bonjour, ça y est, j’ai quitté Paris et je suis chez mon père pour l’été. What does this phrase mean in this sentence?

Comme d'habitude, Merci d'avance.

hotjava

English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese
    Can j'y suis be used instead of ça y est in this sentence:

Ça y est, j'ai compris finalement ce qu tu a dit.

mathieu&C

Bilingual - Parisian French/ Miami English
    I sent a text to a friend a few minutes ago and I can't decide if it sounds natural or not. Especially the ça y est at the end because I dont know how to end the sentence.

yo je me suis gouré de numéro donc t'as qu'à remplacer 1777 par 1778 et puis ça y est.

the ça y est does seem to flow, but I could be wrong.
    any suggestions ?
    merci d'avance.

< Previous | Next >