étaler la fabrication au fil de l'eau

newyork88

English- USA, French- France
Hey guys I'm having trouble translating the following sentence:

L'entreprise a besoin des premiers PDF courant de semaine prochaine, il faut étaler la fabrication au fil de l'eau.

My attempt:
The company needs the first PDFs the following week, we have to gradually stagger production. (?) or we have to plan accordingly?

It's an e-mail talking about transferring files, if that's any help. What do you guys think?

• CokerSC

English
    I'm interested to see the final result, but here's my attempt:
    "The company needs the first PDFs within the next week, production will have to be staggered as needed."
    I'm also wondering if 'scaled' might be a better fit than staggered.

vanagreg

France, French
    I don't really see the connection between the firt part and the second one. Does production start when PDF files arrrive?

newyork88

English- USA, French- France
    Hey thanks for the responses so far. The part of the sentence I'm having trouble with is au fil de l'eau.

I really have no idea what that means here! I looked around a bit and it seems it means "in real time" or "gradually" but I might be way off base. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I can't really go into the details because it's private company info but basically another company is sending our company files and the e-mail is talking about the procedures we need to follow for the transferring of files and production schedules and such.

Last edited:

CokerSC

English
    You may have already seen the other threads on this phrase here (I tried posting links, but new members can't apparently), it's described as going with the flow/not planned/drifting with the stream/ on the fly and several other common phrases. My personal choice is "as needed".

< Previous | Next >